Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick Mig question

Actually, this is a two part question.

First, what do you feel the general cutoff is between .030" and .035" Mig wire? ...looking for material thickness/joint configuration generalizations.

Second, I went to pick up a spool of .035" (to try instead of my current .030" for some thicker material), and they sold me a wire brand I'm not familiar with. It's called Washington Alloy Co.. I usually use Hobart wire, but they claimed this wire was less expensive and they sent out sample spools to welding companies who were picky about the wire they used and nobody gave any negative feedback.

I'm just wondering if cheaper is OK...worry about wire diameter consistency (feed issues), or metalurgy of the wire itself. This 11 lb spool of .035" ER70s-6 was $17.60 and I believe he said the Hobart wire used to be in the low $20 range ($22 to 24). As much as I use, cost isn't a real factor for me, but this is my favorite local supplier, so I took them on their word and thought I would try it (got the impression they didn't stock the Hobart wire anymore?).

I have used some Washington Alloy products and had no issues. Here is a chart for wire size. I believe this came from Hobart but I'm not certain. BTW, I bought a 33# spool of Uni-Weld .035 for around $25. It is Italian made but welds great.
    Last edited by cope; 03-22-2003, 12:01 PM.

Comment

10secBu,

Although this website is owned by miller/hobart, I just have to say that lincoln has some very good and free material that will answer many of the basic mig questions. I work for big blue, not the power of blue, not the red/yellow/white guys--although I do like the power of blue equipment so far! Lincoln has the 'Mig/Mag Welding Guide' which covers a lot of these questions and has tables for all kinds of joints/positions/ and modes of transfer. The reason I mention it is that I am the kind of person who constantly works to educate myself about issues so that I don't have to depend on others for answers. Or at least this will give me some quality info. to use as a comparison when someone gives subjective advice. Not to say there isn't real good value for this website, because I believe there is. But you may be the kind of person who thirsts for more knowledge--and as far as I can tell--the lincoln stuff is pretty good, and a lot of it is free! I have quite a bit of their books and free publications. The mig book is on their website under literature. I don't mean to disuade any from posting quesions here, just want to let others know that good welding info. is available. I have the miller tig book (copyright 1995) and had heard it had a good section on pulser setting, but it amounted to only half a page. I believe the newer pub. that ROCK was mentioning may have more. I know that Miller has a MIG book, but I don't have it yet. Maybe someone on the board has it and can make a few comments about its' quality. Either way, I think Miller has some good technology, but I'd like to see them put some more time into their publications. That way I wouldn't have to go to Lincoln for that info.!!! Go Blue!!

just trying to help,
      -dseman

Comment

DSEMAN...............ACTUALLY THE HOBART INSTITUTE HAS SOME REALLY EXCELLENT INFORMATION..........OF COURSE SOME IS FREE AND SOME IS NOT..........SURF THE SITE AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK...........I WAS ABLE TO FIND MY (NEW MILLER MANUAL) GMAW BUT PERHAPS THE TIG MANUAL GOT UP AND WALKED OFF................?............ WELL I THINK IT IS HOME LAYING ON THE COFFEEE TABLE.................I'LL TRY AND REMEMBER TO PICK IT UP IN THE MORNING AND BRING BACK..................MY DAY IS ABOUT DONE...........SEE YA ALL TOMORROW.................ROCK...
        [email protected]

Comment

Working...
        X