trailer axle bracket weld procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailer axle bracket weld procedure?

I have to weld two pair of axle brackets on a trailer frame. The perimeter frame rails are 2" x 5" x .120" wall rectangular mild steel tubing. The brackets are .250" thick mild steel plate bent 90 degrees. Here are two pics of the axle brackets...

Side view: http://www.qis.net/~geislert/axlebracket1.jpg

Top view: http://www.qis.net/~geislert/axlebracket2.jpg

The side with the holes mounts vertically (bolts to the torsion axle) and the shorter flat side (no holes) fits against the bottom of the trailer frame rail. Dexter states the short ends (front and back) should be welded, and then three 2 1/2" long 1/4" welds on either side of the bracket.

Last weekend I welded the brackets on, but later decided the placement wasn't as I wanted, so I cut them off and bought new brackets (couldn't save them). During the cutting off process, I was a little concerned that the penetration may not have been as good as it possibly should have. If I cut parallel to the end welds, the penetration of the root seemed to go about 1/8" past the edge of the bracket. During the welding, the side walls of the frame and bracket appeared to melt in nicely.

Machine is a 251 Millermatic, .030 Er60S-6 solid wire, 75/25 gas mix, 19.6 volts, 435 imp.

I guess I could have bevel cut the short ends of the bracket to help penetration, but the long sides both had a radius which basically created it's own bevel cavity.

Are the paramiters I used appropriate, or are some changes in order before I weld the brackets on again?

I do have a Lincoln Squarewave 175 Pro Tig machine that I could use to run a root pass if necessary. I kinda feel though, that this machine should be capable of this type of weld, setup as is?

any thoughts?

thanks
    Todd G

Hello 10secbu, Seems to me you have learned the most important thing, that being if your not sure ask. Since you have not the experience in the welding field that need be ( especially in the welding of this type of project which could have serious effects) were not talking about welding back on grandma's little flower shovel handle.

I recommend you have a accomplish welder tackle it and continue to practice buddy. Good luck
    Jerry Streets
    J P Streets Welding LLC

Comment

I have been welding (as an amature) for over 15 years now. In the past my projects have been smaller, non structural projects. I have built some suspension parts on my race car (welded with the Tig) that are holding up just fine over several years of racing.

Sorry, but having someone else weld this for me will not tech me anything I can use to improve my skills/knowledge. If I were going to have someone else tackle such jobs for me, I would have saved my money and not invested what I have in expensive tools & equipment.

This stuff isn't rocket science, rather a process which simply requires close attention to your work and the basic knowledge to know how to perform the task properly. The more projects I tackle, the more my knowledge base increases, as with anyone who has done this kind of work for any period of time.

Comment

I agree, and I am sure someone with the knowledge will pipe up soon to give you the info you need. I will be following this thread in hopes I will pick up some needed advise also.

Bob
        Short Term Memory GONE!!
        Hobby Weldor/Machinist
        Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

I think your wire speed is a little high, should be around 335ipm. A fillet weld need only have a leg length equal to 75% of the thickness of the thinnest member being welded. If the thinnest member is .120" x .75 = .09" As you can see it is not necessary to have a weld sized for the thicker member. The weldment will only be as strong as it's weakest link. Penetration is one of the problems associated with short circuit mig, particularly when welding downhand. Try going slower, uphill (difficult on thin material) or using a three pass fillet weld.
          Respectfully,
          Mike Sherman
          Shermans Welding

Comment

Those things are so big almost any halfway decent weld is going to work. I see mobile home brackets slopped on and every once in a while there is a bit of a problem if the guy didnt do a decent job on the side. Thats where the stress is. The back edge needs just enouh to hold it there somewhat and most of the stress on yours is along the rounded edge. I never weld the ends of trailer brackets especially when welding to tubing. Just one weld down each side. Like mike said, it doesnt do any cood to make it thicker than the tubing.
            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Working...
            X