How to improve weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve weld

It is obvious that there are several excellent welders here. I am getting little pits in my welds it just does not look like a nice clean bead. when I am welding it sounds poppy it will run good for a while then starts to pop. Why would I be getting this? Could it be I need more shielding gas? It was running at only 10cfh and I think it should have been at 20. I have a HH 135.

Thank you,

byron
    Last edited by Byron; 03-17-2003, 03:22 PM.

You could turn gas up a little, but if there is no breeze I doubt you need 20. More than likely your wire speed is too slow. Crank it up a third to start with and see what happens.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Thanks

I will try that. Could it be I have impurities in the steel. What could I clean it with.

Comment

got something

hey man harvey's degreaser works great if you can find it anywhere.

Comment

I wipe most stuff down with acetone to get it clean.

- jack

Comment

Thank you

Now I am getting a lot of splatter why would this be?

Comment

what brand of wire are you using ? some brands of wire are more prone to splatter than others. Also, it seems that I get excessive splatter whenever I let the electrode stickout distance get to great.

- jack

Comment

Set your gas at 20scfh for a start.

Comment

what gas are you using? CO2 will cause more spatter than C25

Comment

Read this section for help with spatter-free welds.

http://www.weldreality.com/short_circuit_under100.htm

Comment

Very helpful

I am using C25 gas, and hobart wire I believe. I just don't quiet get it it is almost seems like I can't keep up with the bead. Would it be possilbe to weld on setting 3 for power on an HH135 on 3/16" it seems too low.

Comment

BRYON.............TRY THIS SET YOUR WIRE AT 40 OR 50 ON THE WFS.........SET GAS AT 20-25 AND ADJUST LATER..........SET RANGE ON 3................LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT..........WE CAN FINE TUNE AFTER ELIMINATEING PEROSITY........................ROCK
                        [email protected]

Comment

Much appreciated

Wow thanks, I just didn't think 3 was going to get enough power to penetrate 3/16". I will do that tonight and report back. It is rather frustrating I haven't welded in about 4 years but I used to be decent nothing like some of you guys but I got the job done.

byron

Comment

Working...
                          X