a few questions on TIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few questions on TIG

Hello all! I just got a tig welder and have a few questions on the process...

1. How far should the electrode stick out of the torch?
    2. What does Tig welding sound like? With my mig, I get the sound of frying bacon...with the tig, it's more of a high pitch hum like sound...is this right?
    3. How does cup size relate to electrode and filler rod size? I imagine the thicker the material you should use bigger cups and electrodes, etc...

I think thats all for now....thanks!!!!!!

I've only been Tig'ing for a couple of weeks but you might find something to get you started.
    I just uploaded a couple of pdf's its what I started with
    have a look at the "tombelltigtips" & "Tig welding tips" pdf.

good luck
    - wiredkiwis -
    Anything that makes life easier, I want to know about it -
    [dont' put the filler on the tungsten]

Comment

Go to http://www.millerwelds.com/education/TIGhandbook/ and download the "TIG handbook" there - it's free, and it's got a lot of very good information in it that you're going to need to know.
      Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Zrexxer
        Go to http://www.millerwelds.com/education/TIGhandbook/ and download the "TIG handbook" there - it's free, and it's got a lot of very good information in it that you're going to need to know.
        **** I wish I found that one a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks Zrexxer, for the excellent link..

that should keep us Tig newbies happy for a while
        - wiredkiwis -
        Anything that makes life easier, I want to know about it -
        [dont' put the filler on the tungsten]

Comment

If I had to learn agian the first weld I would make would be a flat tee weld. Start with about a #6 cup and set the electrode were you think, probably about half way. Set the cup down in the groove and kick on the remote.(your roughing it without a remote). Rock the electrode back and forth and add filler wire when puddle forms.
          Practice and more practice, I tought myself to tig weld so thier's hope for us all.
          200 amp tig rig- $175
          shade 12 lens- $8
          Tilman 850 elkskin gloves- $23

Flushing-out your side 2 passes ahead of your brother in-law. PRICELESS

Comment

1. the electrode should only stick out just enough so that u would be able to see the weld puttle clearly while leaving room for your cup(if your welding tubing or 90* or less angles)
            and to allow enough shielding gas to surround the weld puttle.
            2. the high pitch sound of your tig is normal
            3. the cup size does not relate to the electrode or filler rod size at all. your cup is just what basically controls where your shielding gas goes. if you are welding a flat surface, a larger cup size would be best but for small openings, a smaller cup size would be better. the electrode and filler rod size arev determined by what you are welding and the metal thickness.

Originally posted by Matthew
            Hello all! I just got a tig welder and have a few questions on the process...

1. How far should the electrode stick out of the torch?
            2. What does Tig welding sound like? With my mig, I get the sound of frying bacon...with the tig, it's more of a high pitch hum like sound...is this right?
            3. How does cup size relate to electrode and filler rod size? I imagine the thicker the material you should use bigger cups and electrodes, etc...

I think thats all for now....thanks!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X