Father& Son activity: Day 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father& Son activity: Day 2

Well since it was raining all day, which of course never happens in Oregon, my son and I continued with another day of welding. And once again we are posting some pictures. I promise this is the last day. He is enjoying this so I didn t see any harm in one more time.

Now this time we went with a material that you might as well consider I haven t TIG welded in about 12 years, which happens to be aluminum. Now the farm store only had 1/8" aluminum which is a workout for an Econotig as I discovered this evening. Which is strike one against it. Now if it doesn t perform better on mild steel when I get some 1/16" 2% thoriated I think it might just have to be considered a lemon, and be replaced with something better. Im hoping though that it is just the large tungsten, because the Econotig that we rented at work in the past did a good job on SS and mild steel. Also, to verify that it isn t the material I think I ll bring some scrap SS home from work and try it. When I told the wife if it doesn t work better with the smaller tungsten I was going to have to up grade to something better she wasn t exactly happy.

Anyway, since we went with aluminum this time I was exspecting to give you guys some real entertainment since it has been such a long time . However, Im sorry to disappoint you, because suprisingly I didn t do as bad as I was thinking I might. Im posting 4 pictures and they are in order from the first weld that I tried to the forth. We did more than these , but I did some destructive testing on the rest to see how I was doing.

To keep things simple for me I just welded a flat square edge butt joint.

Now, I asked him if he wanted to try it with me helping. He said no not until we get him his RED welder. Yes, Scott V my son wants a Lincoln SP 175 as his first welder. It has been on his christmas list the last 2 years.

Well lets get to the pictures. Im kind of dissapointed with these pictures, because the real welds look a lot better
    Last edited by Dan; 05-01-2009, 08:18 AM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

here is the second
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

3rd

PM 180C

Comment

And the last

PM 180C

Comment

I see what you mean that it was a strain on your machine....preheat would have helped. Nice looking welds.

Comment

I wish to make some bad welds like that!!
            Does your bad = good ?

Comment

Dan,you have one smart kid there.Just get it for him,before he trys e-mailing Lincoln for info on it.

Dan,The clean zone around a tranformer based weld is way wider than a inverter weld.Thats another big plus for inverters.

Comment

Working...
              X