Newbie Here - How do my welds look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Here - How do my welds look?

I found this board last week and I have been enjoying checking out all the talent here.

Anyway, I've been playing with a 220 AC buzz box (sold under the Montgomery Ward brand ) that I got from my father who's had it for at least 20 years.

These first 2 welds are done with 1/8 6013 and the third is done with 3/32 7018 on 2 pieces of sch 40 pipe and ground down.

How am I doing?

Comment

Comment

on the 6013 it looks like you speeded up about half way in (where the bead is thinner) nd your arc length maybe a bit long cause it looks like abit of under cut where you sped up but other than that i think they look pretty good.

By the way how many amps were you using?

How long you been welding?

Comment

I'm using about 100 - 120 amps. Not sure how acurate this machine is.

I've had the welder for awhile. After my first few attempts I probably didn't touch it for a year but in the past few months I've burnt quite a bit of rod. Only instruction I've got so far is what I read on the internet.

Comment

HI CULLEN................WELCOME TO THE SITE...........ENJOY IT. ANYTHING YOU NEED ANSWERED HERE JUST POST AND A MULTITUDE OF PEOPLE ON HERE WILL ANSWER. MOST ARE ALWAYS EAGER TO JOIN IN THE CONVERSATION....................YOU KNOW I'M NOT EVEN SURE IF MONTGOMERY WARDS IS IN BUSINESS ANY LONGER...ANYONE ELSE KNOW............... ROCK
            [email protected]

Comment

Thanks. I love this stuff!

Wards is out of business but I was told this is a Century built unit. I want to learn what I need before I invest in some equipment.

Comment

Not too bad on those beads. Just keep practicing and they will keep getting better. I can't do much better with stick myself ,some days. The wirefeeders have spoiled me rotten.
                Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
                The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

On the 6013 welds I see some large globs of spatter along the edge of the weld. To me this indicates that you are probably holding to long of an arc length. If so, try tightening it up.

Your current range is fine. So my last suggestion for now is to also try traveling a little slower. Let the weld metal fill the joint in
                  MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                  Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Caddyshack,

Welcome,aboard we need more Oregonians here to prove we are not all nuts (me) or to prove we are?

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Here's another pic it took, since everyone is being so nice. The top one is just bad. Bottom is a little better. That's some 3/16 band and .120 wall tube same 6013 rod, same setting.

How can I tell the kind of penetration? Cutting it in half? I assume my arch distance and speed is effecting my penetration.

Hopefully I can go home and lay some beads tonight and try some of these suggestion.

Comment

Absolutely! I was 6 when that movie was made, so I discovered it much later in life still so funny.

Originally posted by aweaver
                        Caddyshack is the one of the funniest movies ever made! Great avatar!
                        Last edited by Cullen; 03-05-2003, 03:57 PM.

Comment

All of a sudden I feel so old!
                          It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

Yea...me too...lol
                            Oh well...just getting better....
                            Short Term Memory GONE!!
                            Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                            Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

What are you looking at when you weld?
                              When learning you consentrate more on one thing for a few weld beads until that part becomes more automatic, then move on consentrating more on another part for a few weld beads. One example is consentrating on holding consistan arc length. After days, weeks, years of doing this your trained eye will scan leading edge of puddle for penitration & staying on track, sides of puddle filling in and trailing edge of puddle for consistant ripples/reinforcement. Seeing all on sort of unconsious time share using that feedback to change how puddle is malipulated to produce beautiful welds. But mostly you look at trailing 1/2 of puddle while still seeing enough in frount to stay on track.
                              The one thing your trained eye will mostly ignore is the arc.
                              Last edited by Roger; 03-05-2003, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X