Another TIG photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another TIG photo

This one is a fillet weld on a 1/2" NPT female half coupler. TIG welding this part on guarantees me that I have a water tight joint. Actually in this case it is going to be a vegetable oil tight joint. This small fitting would be hard to weld on with MIG and not have a small leak. Im not saying it would be impossible Im just saying that there would be a chance of a leak each time you had to restart the arc. With TIG I start my weld puddle back on the weld I just completed, which guarantees me a good fusion all the way around the fittting.
    Last edited by Dan; 05-01-2009, 08:13 AM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

HI DAN.......JUDGEING FROM THE DISCOLORATION ON THE THREADS ON THE INSIDE I WOULD SAY YOUR GETTING EXCELLENT PENETRATION,,,,,,,,,,,,,............WHAT AMPERAGE RANGE WERE YOU RUNNING AT AND WHAT SIZE TUNGESTON WERE YOU USEING...... HEY YOU KNOW HOW THE CURIOSITY THING IS ,,,.............ROCK [email protected]

Comment

These welds are gorgeous! Nice photography too. When I bought my TIG machine a few months back, I started working on 22 gauge stainless and encountered lots of frustration and ugly welds to say the least. If I'm welding something thicker, as in your photos, does it get any easier? Also, were you using filler metal? Thanks,
      Dave

Comment

Dave
        Most of the material in these photos is 1/8" thick, which is quite a bit easier to weld on compared to 22 GA. Don t be discouraged about the 22GA though because I would burn thru that thin of material just as easy as you. I don t weld on any material thinner then 16 ga. On the 16ga I always back purge, because once in a while I end up with a little weld penetration to the back side of the joint . So to answer your question , Yes I feel you would have a lot easier time welding on the 1/8" material. Actually, 1/8" is the material thickness that I recommend for the beginner to practice on. 1/8" is thin enough that if you are not careful you can burn thru it, but it also thick enough so that you don t have to travel incredibly fast. Also, the weld puddle on 1/8" material is very easy to see. I can image the puddle on 22 ga was almost impossible to see. For 22 ga I would probably have to use a #8 shade lens.

To answer your second question, yes I was using filler rod. I almost always use filler metal. You couldn t get me to weld a t joint with out filler. However, when I make chain guards out of 16 ga I do fuse the outside corner joints - No filler.
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

Rock
          I vary my maximium amperage setting on the machine based on the joint that I am welding. For example on most of the fillet welds I have the machine set at around 110 amps, which makes it so I have to push the foot pedal down quite a ways to develope the proper sized weld bead. I alway like to set the machine so that I almost have to bottom the foot pedal out to weld the joint, this gives me a high amount of control over the weld bead. On the outside corner joint the machine was set around 75 amps. The material was 1/8" thick so I was using a 1/16" 2% thoriated tungsten.

PM 180C

Comment

Working...
          X