lack of certs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lack of certs.

Just a quick question. I Just got done with an 11 week structral/plate fitting program and because it took me 6 of the 11 weeks to get the vertical up portion down to where I could do it
    (This involved over lapping beads vertical up on flat plate, a cross formed of 1/4 plate...with 15 stringer fillet beads, another cross formed with 1/4 plate...laying a root pass then filling and capping with a weave and finally 1/2 plate...beveled laying down a root pass...filling then capping. The over head portion seemed a lot easier...doing all the above in the overhead position. I had three more things to do before i could test. needless to say I didnt get those three done because of all the time spent on vertical up) and I didnt get my certification from the school....Is that going to hinder me in getting a welding job? I have to admit...What welding I can do is good. My instructor told me that my welds are good enough to get me a job in construction welding. I am not sure if I want to be a construction welder but perhaps get a job in a shop.
    Whats ya'lls thoughts?
    Thanks
    Tim

You might consider taking the class again...11 weeks isn't such a long time. Plus you'll be ahead of the rest of the students. Could be kinda fun. Then you'd have another crack at the cert. Just an idea.

But if you don't want to do that, and get right into a welding job, remember you have to start at the bottom, and prove yourself to your employer....that can be more frustrating than ever....then you could be kicking yourself that you didn't take the class again.

I took two years of welding in highschool, then another 16 weeks in the US Army Ordnance School in Aberdeen Proving Ground in MD
    After all that, I still didn't know how to apply what I had learned...only experience can do that. It's still better if you can get to the point that you feel confident in welding all positions before you go out to the work force. Food for thought, Tim.

Comment

I think rock has a good point there where you will be ahead of the others if you re-took class but if you don't want to do construction welding you will have to learn other forms of welding such as mig and tig because these are done mostly in the shop.
      If interested in field, a welding class in the other forms of welding will be needed. I went and took welding at tech college 25 years ago and did what I thought was great until I entered the work field and really started to learn.

Good Luck

J P Streets Welding
      Jerry Streets
      J P Streets Welding LLC

Comment

Just go out and talk to every welding shop in town and see if they need an entry level person. Only one has to say yes. Once ya do get into a shop, if ya don't like it there then build up some experience time and move on.
        Art is dangerous!
        www.PiedmontIronworks.com

Comment

Aberdeen Proving Grounds

Rocky D

How long ago did you go to the school at Aberdeen? I went to the machinist school there. Small world.
          Rangerod

Power MIG 300, Prince Spool Gun, Precision TIG 275, MM 210, Dynasty 300 DX, Dynasty 200 DX, Ranger 8 Engine Drive, Victor O/A, Ready Welder 10000 ADP, Hypertherm Powermax 1000 Plasma Cutter, Bridgeport 4 HP Series II Manual Mill, Leblond 15" X 54" Regal Servo Shift Lathe & various other doodads...[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Re: Aberdeen Proving Grounds

Originally posted by rangerod
            Rocky D

How long ago did you go to the school at Aberdeen? I went to the machinist school there. Small world.
            December 1960

Comment

1960!!!! How did you guys get the welder off the Mayflower?

Comment

carrying it off the Mayflower sounds simple. what powered the welder is what I wanna know ?

- jack

Comment

Yeah...you shoulda seen the sticks we had to rub together!

Comment

Lack of Certs

Rocky D

Didn't mean to get this line going this direction Just look at it this way I would love to have all the expirience you carrying around in your noodle Keep up the good work
                    Rangerod

Power MIG 300, Prince Spool Gun, Precision TIG 275, MM 210, Dynasty 300 DX, Dynasty 200 DX, Ranger 8 Engine Drive, Victor O/A, Ready Welder 10000 ADP, Hypertherm Powermax 1000 Plasma Cutter, Bridgeport 4 HP Series II Manual Mill, Leblond 15" X 54" Regal Servo Shift Lathe & various other doodads...[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                    X