LN-25 Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LN-25 Settings

I am welding with an LN-25 & having alot of sputtering. I am using solid .035 wire with Co2 gas. Should I be using positive setting in CV or CC mode?
    Rangerod

Power MIG 300, Prince Spool Gun, Precision TIG 275, MM 210, Dynasty 300 DX, Dynasty 200 DX, Ranger 8 Engine Drive, Victor O/A, Ready Welder 10000 ADP, Hypertherm Powermax 1000 Plasma Cutter, Bridgeport 4 HP Series II Manual Mill, Leblond 15" X 54" Regal Servo Shift Lathe & various other doodads...[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Need more info., what power supply are you using?
    work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

LN-25 Settings

Ed

I am using a Lincoln Ranger 8. Like I said any help would be useful. I tried alot of different settings & went through the manual but I still am not getting good results. Thanks in advance for the help.
      Rangerod

Power MIG 300, Prince Spool Gun, Precision TIG 275, MM 210, Dynasty 300 DX, Dynasty 200 DX, Ranger 8 Engine Drive, Victor O/A, Ready Welder 10000 ADP, Hypertherm Powermax 1000 Plasma Cutter, Bridgeport 4 HP Series II Manual Mill, Leblond 15" X 54" Regal Servo Shift Lathe & various other doodads...[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

I just bought a esab mobilemaster feeder,that is about the same as your ln25.you should be on cv on both your feeder,and engine drive.also eletrode positive.Are your drive rolls set right?Maybe if you tried some 75/25 gas your machine might like it better.I have never used a ranger 8,but I do own a ranger 305g that doesn't sputter even if you pull the choke all the way out.The motor will miss,but the arc won't.By the way I just traded my ln9 for the esab.The ln9 uses the same motor,and drive rolls as your feeder.I really like the ln25,because they are proven.plus you can get about all your money out of one on ebay at anytime.Great feeders.

Comment

By sputtering do you mean your wire is stubbing out (stabbing into the steel without burning off)? One of the consistant problems I see with my men and the Ln-25 is this exact problem, the switch for high and low is usually the culprit. The Ln-25 has two settings on the knob for wire speed, make certain it is flipped to the low side and you are reading the correct chart. Other than that make sure you have a good ground and that your stinger is not tied in a knot. Check your tip, if it or your liner are dirty, you will have a tendancy to turn up your wire speed to push it through the obstruction, this works for a few seconds and then it breaks free and stubs out.
          Respectfully,
          Mike Sherman
          Shermans Welding

Comment

LN-25 Settings

Scot V, I should have been more clear with my question. I am not having trouble with the Ranger 8 its my LN-25 feeder. Mike thats exactly what is happening, the wire is stubbing out. Is that what causes the wire spool to jerk the wire while I'm welding? I'll check all the items you suggested & see where I stand after that. Thank you both for the help.
            Rangerod

Comment

LN-25 Settings

Scot V

I found two problems so far with my setup. I had the LN-25 machine set on CC mode & it was also set on negative instead of positve. I'll see how those changes work as soon as I get some good weather. I have to work outside because I am stripping my 55 chevy pickup in the car port right now so I am restricted by the weather alot.
              Rangerod

Comment

Ln-25

Better follow Mikes advice also.You can tell he Knows that machine.Once you get that thing dialed in It will be your favorite unit.I do know you can get a control cable setup for making it into a shop feeder.I think you can throw a switch to make it a voltage sensing feeder again.That is a cool feature if the switch part is true.My friend at the welding store thinks it works that way.What that does for you is you could use that feeder on some nice power supplies with pulse,and a few other benefits.So what ever you do don't sell that feeder,because it can do things that others can't.They are my favorite feeder,and that includes my very nice Esab four roll mobliemaster that I just picked up.Although I am real happy with the esab.

On your engine drive missing,I knew yours wasn't.I was telling you that on my machine you can pull the choke out,and the machines arc will not change.It is a real solid arc on my ranger.

Comment

LN-25 Settings

Scot V & Mike

Hey guys good news! The weather just gave me the opportunity to make the adjustments on my Lincoln LN-25 & Ranger 8 that you both suggested I must have been really tired & frustrated the last day I was trying to make the LN-25 work correctly because I had almost everything oput of whack What a relief Now all I need is some more of these nice sunny days to get the setting just right. Thanks for the help & patience
                  Rangerod

Comment

Working...
                  X