too hot ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too hot ?

I've been making a welder cart with a new mm175, working inside my shop that has no heat so it has to be at least 25 degrees out. I'm using .030 wire with c25, welding 1/4",machine settings by the book at 10/75 gas at 20 cfh. This seems way to hot, melts to much of the metal before i can get a bead. really arcs and sparks! Turn the machine down to 3/16" setting (6/70) and the bead and penetration looks real good. Is this a good thing or just adjusting the machine? Would like some input on this, cuz i'm a green horn I've been welding a lot of 1/8" and thinner and have been very happy with this machine! chumly. I would show a picture but i'm not digital.

If you look back at the posts by Dan on settings on his machine you will see that the settings provided by the manufacturer are guidelines at best. My old inverter welds a bit hotter than the manual says. If you are getting good penetration and bead appearance w/o excessive spatter then you are OK. Make a note of the settings for future reference.

Comment

Re: too hot ?

Originally posted by chumly
      I've been making a welder cart with a new mm175, working inside my shop that has no heat so it has to be at least 25 degrees out. I'm using .030 wire with c25, welding 1/4",machine settings by the book at 10/75 gas at 20 cfh. This seems way to hot, melts to much of the metal before i can get a bead. really arcs and sparks! Turn the machine down to 3/16" setting (6/70) and the bead and penetration looks real good. Is this a good thing or just adjusting the machine? Would like some input on this, cuz i'm a green horn I've been welding a lot of 1/8" and thinner and have been very happy with this machine! chumly. I would show a picture but i'm not digital.
      Cope's right, the setting given are just to get you in the ballpark. Last year I had to have my breaker-box and wiring re-done due to ice storm, and having everything brought up to code increased my line voltage, resulting in all my welders being totally different after that.........I kinda think they take on a personality of thier own,...we have 2 welders at work that are the same, but man, they don't weld the same. Go figure.
      ROCK

Comment

Well, I am a total newbe, but I guess I can chime in on this one because I just had the same problem when I got my mm210 last week. It seemed to weld hot at the recommended settings.

In my manual, on the page that has the paramater chart, there is a footnote that says “Line voltage will affect weld output, settings on this chart are starting values only. You may need to adjust voltage and wire feed to optimize your settings.” It also says to use the parameter chart if line voltage is 230v but that welds will be hot at 240v.

I checked my line voltage. It was 238v at the plug.

Now I just do what you are doing: set the machine for one step thinner material than I am actually welding. I found that to be a much better starting point.

Comment

dwaber,
          thanks for the reply. makes sense about the line voltage i had my shop rewired last fall. all new wire from the meter. does this mean i can weld thicker metal? or just more volts to play with. chumly.

Comment

no, all that means is that your wires and breakers should be properly sized as not to create any problems inside the walls. Line voltage will vary with how many customers your utillity company has and if it is during peak usage. Your voltage could vary between maybe 215 ~ 240.
            D. Paulson

Comment

I'm the first house from the substation 1/2 mile away,and my 220 outlet is right below the box with a 20 amp breaker. chumly.

Comment

Working...
              X