210 MVP no start on 240v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 210 MVP no start on 240v

Hi all, new poster here and need some quick help hopefully. I have a 210 MVP that just shut off yesterday. I was welding on 230v and it slowed down and just stopped. Acted like the power to the garage went out. It does work on 115v just fine. The machine is about 3 years old I think and I've never had any issues with it until now. This is bad timing as I'm teaching my son to weld and he has a designed project that has to be done in January and now the welder quit! I took the casing off and there is a big relay in the upper back circuit board that looks like it should be closing when flipping the power switch but it doesn't move. The fan just barely tries to start when flipping the power switch. Any ideas? Thank you.
    Last edited by 400orbust; 11-21-2019, 12:48 AM.

Originally posted by 400orbust View Post
    Hi all, new poster here and need some quick help hopefully. I have a 210 MVP that just shut off yesterday. I was welding on 230v and it slowed down and just stopped. Acted like the power to the garage went out. It does work on 115v just fine. The machine is about 3 years old I think and I've never had any issues with it until now. This is bad timing as I'm teaching my son to weld and he has a designed project that has to be done in January and now the welder quit! I took the casing off and there is a big relay in the upper back circuit board that looks like it should be closing when flipping the power switch but it doesn't move. The fan just barely tries to start when flipping the power switch. Any ideas? Thank you.
    Since the machine is still in warranty period, you should have been contacting Hobart, after completing the trouble shooting section in your manual. Contact them now, and you may avoid having the remainder of your warranty voided.

Comment

I just contacted Hobart and the machine is just out of warranty. I'm not too happy about that. My previous machine was 25 years old with never a hiccup when I sold it to to buy this machine.
      In any case they did tell me to check the voltage to the fan motor (wires 22 & 28) as the fan motor then starts other functions. If there is 230v to the fan motor then the fan motor is bad. If there is not 230v to the motor then the control board is bad. Maybe this will help someone else. I'll update when I get home tonight with what I find.

Comment

IF you are comfortable around 120/240 volts and have decent volt meter, pull cover and power up (release wire feed) and see if you have 120VAC on output side (transformer) of contactor (CR 7) T1 & T2 and output of circuit breaker (CB1) 201 & 202

https://www.hobartwelders.com/files/...74B_PT_HOB.pdf
        https://www.hobartwelders.com/files/...60274E_HOB.pdf

Click image for larger version  Name:	Noname.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	706713
        Also check circuit board RC1 - 12 and RC1-15 for output to contactor but it does no sound like contactor "Operation" issue...
        Last edited by Dale M.; 11-21-2019, 03:18 PM.
        "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Thanks Dale.

Here's what I found when plugged into 230v: I only have 22Vac to the fan motor, I do have 245Vac on output side of circuit breaker (CB1) 201 & 202, I do NOT have voltage on output side of (CR7) T1& T2. The contactor does not even try to close (no voltage across RC1 12 & 15). I'm thinking these signs are pointing to a bad board. I pulled the board out to get a good look at it and do not see anything visibly wrong (leaking capacitor, etc). Thoughts? That board looks to be $400+ !!!
          Last edited by 400orbust; 11-21-2019, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Did you test control (gun switch input) by shorting across CR1-3 and CR1-4? To see if problem may not be board?

Does sound like a "board" issue.... There are places that do board repairs for substantially less them costs of new board...Unfortunately I have any sources to pass on to you...Maybe somebody else will speak up.... However initial search provided this...Maybe something to follow up...

Click image for larger version  Name:	CB Repair.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	706719

For some reason the name YORK resonates, it may have come up before as repair facility... E-mails are cheap to sent!

Dale
            Last edited by Dale M.; 11-21-2019, 11:10 PM.
            "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

To wrap this up...I tested everything I could think of and checked into repaired boards. I didn't want to pay the price of a repaired board with no warranty or wait the time so... I bought a new welder...another 210 MVP. I purchased it on Amazon as they had 2 day shipping and I needed it. It showed up last Monday, after hooking it up I found that the #4 tap didn't work! . Hobart support said to "jiggle the switch." Really, you don't think I tried that and that is the best advice you can give? If it weren't for bad luck I'd have none at all! I went round and round with Hobart support, while they were fine to deal with my only option was to take it to a service center and wait 4-5 weeks! No thank you Hobart. I just dropped the machine off at UPS and Amazon is refunding my money. I'm done with Hobart. I'm looking for a new machine. I would've stuck around if Hobart offered to get me a replacement/loaner/something but they didn't. Thank you Dale for trying to help, I do appreciate it but my money is going elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by 400orbust View Post
                To wrap this up...I tested everything I could think of and checked into repaired boards. I didn't want to pay the price of a repaired board with no warranty or wait the time so... I bought a new welder...another 210 MVP. I purchased it on Amazon as they had 2 day shipping and I needed it. It showed up last Monday, after hooking it up I found that the #4 tap didn't work! . Hobart support said to "jiggle the switch." Really, you don't think I tried that and that is the best advice you can give? If it weren't for bad luck I'd have none at all! I went round and round with Hobart support, while they were fine to deal with my only option was to take it to a service center and wait 4-5 weeks! No thank you Hobart. I just dropped the machine off at UPS and Amazon is refunding my money. I'm done with Hobart. I'm looking for a new machine. I would've stuck around if Hobart offered to get me a replacement/loaner/something but they didn't. Thank you Dale for trying to help, I do appreciate it but my money is going elsewhere.
                This seem like a legitimate complaint. Is Hobart service / quality slipping? What about this, Keith?

Comment

Working...
                X