Is this weld normal and safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this weld normal and safe?

I picked up a new trany jack today and putting it together I notice the block that sits on the piston is spaced away from the plate it's welded to. Is this normal and safe? (strong enough) a 1000 lb trany will be sitting on the plate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bad weld.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	706532
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Shanefus View Post
    I picked up a new trany jack today and putting it together I notice the block that sits on the piston is spaced away from the plate it's welded to. Is this normal and safe? (strong enough) a 1000 lb trany will be sitting on the plate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bad weld.jpg Views:	5 Size:	16.4 KB ID:	706532
    It looks as though it is just tacked and not welded. Can you give us a pic of the whole structure, so we can see where force is applied? If force is applied on the plate into the pic, or, out of the pic, it would likely fail immediately, but it is hard to see...
    Last edited by Northweldor; 11-02-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Does NOT look like something that would raise the comfort level of the quality of the product....At least for me...

Dale
      Last edited by Dale M.; 11-03-2019, 09:27 AM.
      "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

I'm with Northweldor. I can't tell what the part is doing.

Comment

Whatever it is, it's sketchy as ****. Run away !!!
          --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
          -------------------------

Comment

What kind of transmission is this for, an 18 speed roadranger only weighs a bit over 700 pounds. Need to see it in relation to the rest of the unit for perspective, or a link to it, but at those weights it should be welded all the way around.

Comment

Working...
            X