Hobart 140 won't power on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 140 won't power on.

Have a hobart 140 that I have had for 4-5 years. Most recently used last month. Last time I welded the wire pinched in the feed mechanism for one reason or another. I was done welding for the day and shut off welder. Went out to use tonight and it won't power on at all. No fan, nothing. Plug has power. Pressed overload reset button, nothing. Opened the side panel to check for loose wires and found none. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Grey

Suggestions are my speciality. Be patient, prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Remember it's only money and time that fixes problems.
    Expect to learn/pick up new skills and meet great challenges thru this learning curve. I'm guessing someone will come along say it's this or that so down load a manual, list a serial number and cross your fingers. Your going to be needing parts of some kind I think? I'm almost guessing if you dig a little deeper on removing covers, you'll likely see the problem soon enough? And when you do, post a picture.

Comment

To troubleshoot you will need to remove the cover and obtain a voltmeter to test in case one is needed. Look for loose or disconnected wires. If all looks good measure for 120 volts in and out of the main circuit breaker on the rear of the unit. If that is good, check the fan motor connector and the fan motor itself. The black wires are 120Vac in and the white wires are 24Vac out. Make sure we have that power or check the resistance on each motor winding. And of course the power switch for continuity.

Comment

How did you test that the receptacle has power? What kind of testing gear are you using?

What do you mean that the wire was pinched? Was that resolved, or saved until this time you needed machine?

Comment

Thanks for responses. I removed cover and tested circuit breaker on back and it showed 120v, tested the incoming power through power cord and it showed 120v, checked switch for continuity and it showed good. No loose wires. Tested capacitor but my mutlimeter won't test up to 63,000 micro farad. Not sure how to test the fan motor. It has 4 white wires and 2 black that all feed into a large quick snap/release plug.

Tested receptacle power by plugging in other tools that powered up as well as disconnecting leads from power cord and checking voltage.

Comment

All that and no picture? Well, all I can say is your not doing much for the visual learners with that effort?

https://www.fluke.com/en-ca/learn/be...tal-multimeter

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
              All that and no picture? Well, all I can say is your not doing much for the visual learners with that effort?

https://www.fluke.com/en-ca/learn/be...tal-multimeter
              Yeah sorry about that. I figured out how t test the fan motor and it has zero voltage

Comment

"Expect to learn/pick up new skills and meet great challenges thru this learning curve." Guess I was right? On ward and upward, sky's the limit. So does the fan work or is it crapped out? I'm thinking if it works, it means something else is crapped out?

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
                  "Expect to learn/pick up new skills and meet great challenges thru this learning curve." Guess I was right? On ward and upward, sky's the limit. So does the fan work or is it crapped out? I'm thinking if it works, it means something else is crapped out?
                  correct. I also learned why my c25 welding looked so bad and why I had so many feeding problems. My gun cable wasn't fully seated, so no gas was actually getting to the end of gun and the unsupported distance between spool feed and line access was too long! 5 years!!!! Like it says i'm crummy!!

Comment

No...all part and parcel to learning and the curve that comes with it. And that gun cable thing, I could tell you a story about that to, we all get caught eventually. All thing considered, it's making progress and progressing. Besides, when you're at the top it's a long ways down, at the bottom, well...who needs the climb when you can go around?

Comment

If no 120 power to the two black wires of the fan motor then there must be an open wire between the power switch and the fan motor as the switch powers on the fan directly.What is the resistance across the two black wires of the fan motor?

Comment

As Keith states....

If fan not running (should be full time with power switch on) problem is likely in this area..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobart power.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	704966
                        I would test power switch for failure first...

Dale
                        Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Working...
                        X