Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hobart 190

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hobart 190

    Bought a new Hobart 190 on sale at Northern Tools, it was to replace a older Italian made welder (Clarke) I've used for over ten years now.

    Man the Hobart 190 is a piece of junk right out of the box, let me explain. First I went to hook up the gun and the socket that the trigger hooks up to pushed back into the case when I went to insert the coupling.

    Then when I fired the welder up the fan started vibrating and shaking the case, it sounds as if the inside is rattling from the vibration.

    Bought Hobart because it was suppose to be quality equipment, so much for that one.

    The cheap Italian made welder never had a problem ever from day one, only reason I wanted to replace it was for more amps.

    I can't take it back now, been past 30 day return period, if this is indicative of American quality it is very sad.
    Wife was in and out of hospital so I didn't get to unbox it right away, and really didn't think I would get such a piece of junk to start with.

    At this point I would rather get my money back and go buy a Chinese made unit.

    JUNK Hobart, utter junk.

    Guess I should have known better than to buy "assembled in America," with foreign parts.

    Oh, no damage to the box at all, in case someone was wondering.

    An American who expects better.
    Last edited by Hoblah; 04-12-2019, 05:28 PM.

  • #2
    I got a Hobart Handler 190 this past Christmas. It works just fine. The socket that the trigger is hooked up to has a keyway and I aligned it with the key built into the connector.

    I took back a Chinese welder that was my original Christmas present because if something on it would break then there is no service available anywhere to get it fixed or to get a replacement part.

    Comment


    • #3
      They are not JUNK!.........I have had Hobart Handler 140 for almost 6 years, never had any problems. it works flawlessly every time I use it... Really think your unit was probably handled badly by some warehouse jerk who is PO'ed at the world because he has to work and can not get on welfare....

      Dale


      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Hoblah View Post
        Bought a new Hobart 190 on sale at Northern Tools, it was to replace a older Italian made welder (Clarke) I've used for over ten years now.

        Man the Hobart 190 is a piece of junk right out of the box, let me explain. First I went to hook up the gun and the socket that the trigger hooks up to pushed back into the case when I went to insert the coupling.

        Then when I fired the welder up the fan started vibrating and shaking the case, it sounds as if the inside is rattling from the vibration.

        Bought Hobart because it was suppose to be quality equipment, so much for that one.

        The cheap Italian made welder never had a problem ever from day one, only reason I wanted to replace it was for more amps.

        I can't take it back now, been past 30 day return period, if this is indicative of American quality it is very sad.
        Wife was in and out of hospital so I didn't get to unbox it right away, and really didn't think I would get such a piece of junk to start with.

        At this point I would rather get my money back and go buy a Chinese made unit.

        JUNK Hobart, utter junk.

        Guess I should have known better than to buy "assembled in America," with foreign parts.

        Oh, no damage to the box at all, in case someone was wondering.

        An American who expects better.
        How can we take your opinion at all seriously when there is no evidence that you even attempted to contact Hobart service, and you are attacking a welder that has years of praise in its class, and almost no history of complaints like yours?

        Comment


        • #5
          I bought a floor model from a farm store. It worked (and works) fine. I am pleased with my purchase, both for the quality of the product and for the good financial deal that I obtained. ~0le
          "If a problem can't be solved, enlarge it." (The 34th president of the United States)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

            How can we take your opinion at all seriously when there is no evidence that you even attempted to contact Hobart service, and you are attacking a welder that has years of praise in its class, and almost no history of complaints like yours?
            And since it is my problem it doesn't matter right?

            My opinion, which counts, it is a piece of junk.

            Hobart should be ashamed for producing such a bad unit, foreign made parts assembled in America.

            ITW is just like any other American company who uses foreign parts.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hoblah View Post

              And since it is my problem it doesn't matter right?

              My opinion, which counts, it is a piece of junk.

              Hobart should be ashamed for producing such a bad unit, foreign made parts assembled in America.

              ITW is just like any other American company who uses foreign parts.

              That would be correct. Your problem is your problem, to me it doesn't matter. I sympathize with you however, feel your frustration, but at the end of the day, it's not effecting my sleep.

              Your opinion...like a vote, it counts. But you'll garner greater support for it in a more constructive tone. But I dig it, your upset. Let me ask, did you buy with Visa to double the warranty? Have you tried Northern Tools for a replacement? Thought to call Hobart for support on a resolution to address your problems and concerns?

              Maybe you ended up with a new in box repackaged floor model, or refurbished and discounted? I heard a story of a guy buying a new machine to change out a toasted board and then returned the old machine? You don't think it happens but it does?

              So chill out, don't stroke out or give your self a heart attack. You have options...and a brain. Use the latter to guide the former and it becomes a minor rather then a major problem to be dealt with. And can be a good story or learning tool.

              But funny you mention that...I got screwed over on a good used low mileage engine replacement in my 84 GMC van. When I couldn't get no satisfaction, and not having paid with visa, I did what I should have done in the first place. I bought a GM crate motor and changed it out myself. That said, I took the engine they installed out, dis assembled it completely, even the heads and valve train, drove back and dumped it in the entrance of the parking lot. LOL! That block right dead center. Makes me smile.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	img002.bmp
Views:	43
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	704433 That was 2007, still have the van, motor runs strong. You still have options? But if you end up with the one that requires putting Humpty dumpty back together again, tighten a screw or two, it's not that hard.
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
                That would be correct. Your problem is your problem, to me it doesn't matter. I sympathize with you however, feel your frustration, but at the end of the day, it's not effecting my sleep.

                Your opinion...like a vote, it counts. But you'll garner greater support for it in a more constructive tone. But I dig it, your upset. Let me ask, did you buy with Visa to double the warranty? Have you tried Northern Tools for a replacement? Thought to call Hobart for support on a resolution to address your problems and concerns?

                Maybe you ended up with a new in box repackaged floor model, or refurbished and discounted? I heard a story of a guy buying a new machine to change out a toasted board and then returned the old machine? You don't think it happens but it does?

                So chill out, don't stroke out or give your self a heart attack. You have options...and a brain. Use the latter to guide the former and it becomes a minor rather then a major problem to be dealt with. And can be a good story or learning tool.

                But funny you mention that...I got screwed over on a good used low mileage engine replacement in my 84 GMC van. When I couldn't get no satisfaction, and not having paid with visa, I did what I should have done in the first place. I bought a GM crate motor and changed it out myself. That said, I took the engine they installed out, dis assembled it completely, even the heads and valve train, drove back and dumped it in the entrance of the parking lot. LOL! That block right dead center. Makes me smile.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	img002.bmp
Views:	43
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	704433 That was 2007, still have the van, motor runs strong. You still have options? But if you end up with the one that requires putting Humpty dumpty back together again, tighten a screw or two, it's not that hard.
                Gosh, my opinion is still the unit is junk.

                It must seem to matter seeing people tell me I'm wrong in my opinion.

                Oh, forgot to mention the door doesn't shut against the body of the unit tightly, it has a 3/16 gap at the lower lefthand corner.

                Gun trigger socket falls into the unit when attaching the gun, fan vibrates the unit and the door doesn't fit tightly when shut as it should, JUNK.

                A brand new unit straight out of the box, not a refurbished unit, not a store display, not an open box, no damage to the box, just a piece of junk unit.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Hoblah View Post

                  Gosh, my opinion is still the unit is junk.

                  It must seem to matter seeing people tell me I'm wrong in my opinion.

                  Oh, forgot to mention the door doesn't shut against the body of the unit tightly, it has a 3/16 gap at the lower lefthand corner.

                  Gun trigger socket falls into the unit when attaching the gun, fan vibrates the unit and the door doesn't fit tightly when shut as it should, JUNK.

                  A brand new unit straight out of the box, not a refurbished unit, not a store display, not an open box, no damage to the box, just a piece of junk unit.
                  YES you may be right the unit is JUNK but not because it was made by Hobart and most likely it left the manufacturing facility in pristine condition... IT was probably mishandled in shipment and you probably are at fault for not opening it up and inspecting it the day it arrived and and took proper action to get some remediation of problems when discovered.... You bad opinion is just not typical of Hobart quality..... And buying online complicates things by the distances involved.... Next time you buy a welder go to LWS and make decision on what unit to buy that is in stock, open it up and inspect it before you lay down the dollars and take it out the door....

                  Have you contacted Hobart about materials and workmanship warranty?..... Or you just put out because you got a damage unit and you failed to take proper action to get your concerns resolved......

                  Dale
                  .
                  Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dale M. View Post

                    YES you may be right the unit is JUNK but not because it was made by Hobart and most likely it left the manufacturing facility in pristine condition... IT was probably mishandled in shipment and you probably are at fault for not opening it up and inspecting it the day it arrived and and took proper action to get some remediation of problems when discovered.... You bad opinion is just not typical of Hobart quality..... And buying online complicates things by the distances involved.... Next time you buy a welder go to LWS and make decision on what unit to buy that is in stock, open it up and inspect it before you lay down the dollars and take it out the door....

                    Have you contacted Hobart about materials and workmanship warranty?..... Or you just put out because you got a damage unit and you failed to take proper action to get your concerns resolved......

                    Dale
                    .
                    Say what? I'm at fault for a junk unit?
                    Really?
                    My fault?

                    You people are nuts, insane to tell a person it's their fault for a poorly constructed unit.

                    Only a con artists would make such a claim and you know what that might be the Hobart way.

                    The unit in my possession was handled with the utmost care possible, the box is in great shape no signs of mishandling or abuse, just a poorly constructed unit.

                    Hobart fan boys know Hobart has quality control issues by bury their heads in the sand and deny it.

                    Parts made in a foreign country and assembled in America.

                    Illinois Tool Works has lost its edge.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I CARE.

                      Box that unit up and send it to me for proper disposal before you get hurt.
                      "He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
                      Compressions 9.7:1

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hoblah, Sorry you are not having a good experience with your Hobart purchase. Hobart strives to make quality products. If your unit needs service please locate your nearest warranty repair center and take the unit to them to have your issues resolved. From the description of the issues there was concealed damage and this can be resolved at our repair centers.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Hobart Expert Keith View Post
                          Hoblah, Sorry you are not having a good experience with your Hobart purchase. Hobart strives to make quality products. If your unit needs service please locate your nearest warranty repair center and take the unit to them to have your issues resolved. From the description of the issues there was concealed damage and this can be resolved at our repair centers.
                          At my cost of losing time and money taking a defective product in for repairs.

                          I make $85.00 an hour, is Hobart going to compensate me for my lost time?

                          How about buy the unit back or ship me another unit in exchange for this one.

                          I didn't buy this unit to be taking to the repair shop, the unit wasn't even used and it is broken out of the box.

                          I prefer my money back and Hobart can fix it.



                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You remind me of my kid. I say that with kindness because I love my kid. But somedays I'm reminded he has his mother's stupid in him, and when I listen to him talk it makes me wish I pulled out sooner.
                            $85 and hour. Post a picture of that pay stub. I like to see big pay checks. But that's just me. A guy who's impressed with big pay checks.
                            So...sounds to me like you need to find the Northern tool forum and yell scream and stomp feet there?
                            Or have you?
                            I'm wonder about the show I'd see if they got your order wrong at the drive thru? But it's free space and a platform isn't it? Far be it for me to say what your next move will be? Buy another one?
                            Sounds like Keith's Hobart response was generous. I'd be asking for serial number and receipt of purchase?
                            I've followed the folly and thought while you didn't get what you wanted, maybe we the reader got the responses needed so there isn't a next time?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Your other option then is to contact your selling retailer to request an exchange or return. We do not offer direct product return or exchange with the customer since we are unable to bill or refund your directly in case of issues that could arise with a return.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X