Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

handler 140 can I weld aluminium with this welder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handler 140 can I weld aluminium with this welder?

am thinking of buyinng a 140.....need to know if it will be able to do small aluminium welding jobs??

No... It has no provision for spool gun.... You will probably have to go up to one of the 240V machines to get spool gun capable and power enough to do the welds...

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

https://www.hobartwelders.com/files/.../O925F_HOB.pdf

I hate to disagree, but...4.1

Dirty Harry said, "a man has to know his limitations".

Same could be said regarding that machine and the aluminum you hope to weld. But yea...t's capable. It also has limitations in doing so. What were you planning on for small aluminum jobs? Busted rims? Pontoon boat? Small aluminum chests?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.
      Same could be said about a length of weld, one droplet at a time.
      Don't forget to add in the expense of Argon, and don't be disappointed when you discover disappointment, which you will be when you discover limitations exist although by all account you can.

Comment

You going to push aluminum wire through 10 feet of gun lead?

And my comment was NOT that it could not do aluminum, my comment was it does not have spool gun provision.... And almost all low end MIG machines recommend spool guns for aluminum...

Dale
        Last edited by Dale M.; 12-31-2018, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
          You going to push aluminum wire through 10 feet of gun lead?

And my comment was NOT that it could not do aluminum, my comment was it does not have spool gun provision.... And almost all low end MIG machines recommend spool guns for aluminum...

Dale
          There are a few determined individuals on this list who have reported some success in welding light gage aluminum with a 140, but no known pictured or tested results. Also, all manufacturers tend to exaggerate the capabilities of their machines, and Hobart is no exception!

You would also have to have an aluminum designated-liner and contact tip, and change it every time you wanted to do aluminum, and be using the 140 at the top end of its range (low duty-cycle), with your gun cable laid out as straight as possible, while limiting your electrode choices to the stiffer alloys you can push.

Also, I would trust Dale's opinion as a long-time 140 user.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fas3K8G-c64

" don't be disappointed when you discover disappointment, which you will be when you discover limitations exist although by all account you can"

And Dale, with all due respect, you said No. No means no. Not maybe? Not you won't be happy? No.

As far as pushing wire out a 10' gun cable assemble...I get a flat tire and have no spare, do I park and walk or do I drive the rim? Tuff choice? But if you know your limitations it's easier to decide.

And before anyone gets their knickers in a knot pointing out buddy in the video used a Hobart 187 not a 140, I'll add the disclaimer smaller bead not as long a weld. Is it ideal, no. Do able, yes. They didn't say it would be easy, practical, pretty or fun, just do able.

Comment

The correct answer is no. That can then be expanded to, "Well, if you only care to melt a little bit of some type of aluminum into a tiny puddle and learn new words during the attempt, then please share the results."

Anything other than "no" is a disservice to someone that actually wants to build or repair something, and that includes product literature written by a salesman sitting at a desk.

He's not asking about something possible with a machine he has. He's looking to BUY a machine to do the job. Big difference.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzcyA6Z-8dk

I'm sure someone said " no, you can't" when they talked about sending a rocket ship to the moon?

Old timer secrets...? Or knowledge and applying it?
                Why did he recommend a larger welding tip? How about if he used a larger wire? Different wire, say 6061? Used helium instead or argon?

Buddy used a 125 amp Lincoln, I'm sure the 140 amp Hobart is just as capable. The kid in the first video, he could use some guidance. Buddy in this video, I'd say he knew a bit more? But did he need a spool gun? No.

Will a spool gun and bigger power source make buddy's welding of aluminum small jobs easier? Not likely if he's asking the question he did?

So, is the correct answer no, or yes, with limitations? Is there a difference, you bet there is. The no response is no, which by the small job presented in the video I attached, shows it to be, if not the wrong answer, not the best answer.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzcyA6Z-8dk
                  I'm sure someone said " no, you can't" when they talked about sending a rocket ship to the moon?

Old timer secrets...? Or knowledge and applying it?
                  Why did he recommend a larger welding tip? How about if he used a larger wire? Different wire, say 6061? Used helium instead or argon?

Buddy used a 125 amp Lincoln, I'm sure the 140 amp Hobart is just as capable. The kid in the first video, he could use some guidance. Buddy in this video, I'd say he knew a bit more? But did he need a spool gun? No.

Will a spool gun and bigger power source make buddy's welding of aluminum small jobs easier? Not likely if he's asking the question he did?

So, is the correct answer no, or yes, with limitations? Is there a difference, you bet there is. The no response is no, which by the small job presented in the video I attached, shows it to be, if not the wrong answer, not the best answer.

I would be very careful on any YOUTUBE videos you use to strengthen you arguments.... There is so much so wrong on youtube, unless you have your BS filter at highest setting anyone who has about 10 seconds of success, and has managed to shoot video, and upload it is an instant expert.....NOT...

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post

There is so much so wrong on youtube, unless you have your BS filter at highest setting anyone who has about 10 seconds of success, and has managed to shoot video, and upload it is an instant expert.....NOT...

Dale
                    I agree. I posted two video links. The Kid in one versus the old guy in another. In my haste?
                    Who won and why? Was there a winner? Or did one accomplish more with less?

Now...I don't usually resort to Hobart say's, or Miller say's, or Lincoln. But they say you can. Who's the expert?

You say no, I say yes.
                    Sammysea one post... think he cares more or less? One way or the other?
                    If he did he hasn't shown it? POOF!
                    We can just disagree. And agree.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
                      ...I'm sure someone said " no, you can't" when they talked about sending a rocket ship to the moon? ...
                      Which argument are you trying to make with this analogy?

Sending a manned rocket to the moon was purely to prove we could do it, and do it first, even though it was entirely impractical, prohibitively expensive for anyone except a 1st world government, and its only benefits were the technologies learned in the process and not the actual accomplishment itself.

So I guess you're arguing that he should burn his budget on a machine that will just do enough "welding aluminum" to prove the concept, but be useless for fabrication.

Comment

Which argument? The same argument we seem to be having here. Someone says you can't, some one say's you can?

But they did make it to the moon and some one did weld aluminum with a small low amperage Mig on a small aluminum job.
                        "small aluminium welding jobs" Ok...? We jumped from that into aluminum fabrication?

Was going to the moon impractical? Hmm? In agreement, to some it was a big waste of time, effort, money and resources. To others it was an adventure to go where no man has gone before? I don't think it was faked? And if I recall correctly, a Big Bang episode confirmed it.
                        A matter of perspective?

As far as wasting his money, burning the budget and being disappointed, that could well be the case?
                        But since sammysea hasn't been back, hasn't put forth what constitutes a small job, shows no interest in expanding the thread to receive a better response, more educated response...

As far as proving a concept? Stack one brick to the next, another on top, continue, you have a wall. Smaller the bricks the more you'll require and yes it will take longer, you will still build a wall. Now, how nice the wall is going to look when it's finished? That's beauty and in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

Most who want to weld something, don't want it to be an adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                            Most who want to weld something, don't want it to be an adventure.
                            And, aren't satisfied in simply having it stuck together with contamination, porosity, and craters unfilled, in the two videos cited

. Never mind spewing words. Where's the successful 140 weldors showing at least passable welds using aluminum? I still haven't seen any, and your videos do not show any viable welds, even when a higher amperage machine is used.

Comment

I really don't consider that a weld.... Specially if ones health depends on it, I would never even consider putting on the stilt with work like that done on it..... If that is best a welder and machine can do with aluminum through 10 ft whip and you are trying to prove a point you fail miserably.... I personal would be embarrassed to show and quite frankly would not let it out of my shop....

Dale
                              Last edited by Dale M.; 01-08-2019, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X