Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 190 handler no power

Hi guys,
    My first time posting. This is kind of weird. I bought the 190 handler new about 5 years ago. I wired a into my garage where I lived at the time and plugged it in to see if it would run and basically pushed it under my bench and never used it until the other day. I wired it into my new garage and plugged it in. I flipped on the power switch and nothing, no fan, nothing! Now I know what you are thinking. I screwed up the wiring or the extension cord I’m using is faulty. That’s all good. I opened up the unit and started testing. Both legs are good. 120v on each side. Good through the circuit breaker. Power on both sides. Tested the ground and that test good to the frame. The power switch tests out good. I took wires off switch and checked continuity to the fan and up the magnetic switch. Everything checks out. Put power to it and have power to everything. Im guessing the circuit board I’d bad so I ordered one today. I’m hoping that works. When it turn the power on there is absolutely nothing. No clicking no buzzing,nothing. If you guys have run across this before please feel free to fill me in. I’ll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks.

Originally posted by CoreyB View Post
    ... I opened up the unit and started testing. Both legs are good. 120v on each side. ...
    What tester are you using? Do you have 240V from pole to pole?

Comment

I used a multimeter. I didn’t think to test across the poles but I have 120v on each line. I will check tomorrow and see. I would assume I would have 240 pole to pole.

Comment

If there is an odd panel configuration, or some other issue, it is possible to have the same 120V leg on each pole, which means you will have 0 between the poles. I've seen it many times as a professional electrician. Test at the breaker first, then at the machine.

Related questions in my head that will all be answered, or irrelevant, depending on your next test:
        Do you have other working 240V loads from the same panel?
        What is the brand/model of the panel and breakers?

Comment

It’s a square D panel using square D QO breakers. I used a double breaker that I’ve never used before in the past and you are 100% correct. I have 0 volts across the poles. I checked my a/c breaker and it had 240volts so we know something is up with my new breaker. I will change that out tomorrow and see if that was my problem. Thank you.

Comment

I change out the breaker and the welder fired right up. Looks like I have a spare circuit board. Lol. Thanks for the help. That would of had me scratching my head for a long time. It’s nice to have intelligent people like you that are willing to help people out. Thanks again!

Comment

Well, look at that. I was bound to get one right sooner or later...

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                Well, look at that. I was bound to get one right sooner or later...
                Well-done! I would have been stumped by this too!

Comment

Working...
                X