X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIRUS WARNING: Need moderator help

Hey guys, I need a moderator help.

Several forums I belong to I've received messages my account has been infected with a virus. I've been told that if I don't correct the problem, my account will be deleted.

When I click on the private message, I get a read receipt request. The sender here on this forum is "root_moderator". I did not send the read receipt, I don't have any viruses on my computers, so it must be on the server that contains the website.

If other's have received this message, let me know. Unless I get confirmation from someone I can identify as a "real member/moderator/administrator" for this forum, I am going to ignore it a spam. I hope it is, as I do enjoy these forums.

It is spam or a scam to try to get info from you or a scam to try to get you to visit an infected website or......

Report it and ignore it. There is no way for your account to be "infected".
    I may not be good looking, but I make up for it with my dazzling lack of personality

Comment

Ditto, received the same e-mail notification over on the Garage Journal website informing me of my messed up computer being chock full of virii. Don't click on any link in that e-mail as I imagine it is malicious. Looking in the 'Off Topic' section of that site, I believe, there were a number of posts referring to the phony e-mail.
      Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

That's what I thought. But as I haven't been on this forum for a while, I still got it. The other forums all said it was spam too.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Comment

Just received same notification here too.
          I have not logged in for ages,but like to check in from time to time.

Just found this crap in my PM folder:

Important message from the forum administration!
          Dear, paradox;valuetrucking;SoftailBoy;cult colt;bug_n_67!

A virus alert was noticed on your computer.
          We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately:
          If you do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your Internet provider.
          ----------------------------------------------------
          Forum Administration www.hobartwelders.com.
          Last edited by paradox; 02-11-2010, 10:19 PM.
          Hobart 187 Handler mig
          Monkey Wards 295 buzzbox
          Victor O/A setup
          Enco 6x26 knee mill
          Atlas 12x36 lathe
          Enco 4x6 band saw
          2000 ZRX stock...

Comment

Important message from the forum administration!
            Dear, KC1;Tips by Tom;joelpietersen;Nitesky;myyaz33!

We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: If you do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your Internet provider.
            Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Comment

Be careful!!!!!!

Originally posted by RooTModerators
              Dear, AMD;blubiker78;bobwalter;jeckyjil;bergie52!

We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately:
              If you do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your Internet provider.

Just got this one this morning. Moderators, please suspend RooTModerators use of the forum.

Bob

Comment

I received the same private message from this site yesterday. This is ADWARE. It pretends to scan your pc, reports lots of virus's, etc. then wants you to buy their product. Unless you buy it, their program blocks your screen and cannot be closed.

Use MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE to get rid of it for FREE. You can get it here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/. This is not an ad for them. I work at a Fortune 500 company and our IT uses it.

This warning thread should be a STICKY and the web admin should check their site for virus or whatever is creating these private messages.
                Burt

Miller 211AS
                Miller 375 plasma cutter
                Thunderbolt AC/DC
                10FtDrillBit.com

Comment

Not smart to buy anti virus product from program that is locking up your computer. They then have your account number.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkBall2 View Post
                    Hey guys, I need a moderator help.

Several forums I belong to I've received messages my account has been infected with a virus. I've been told that if I don't correct the problem, my account will be deleted.

When I click on the private message, I get a read receipt request. The sender here on this forum is "root_moderator". I did not send the read receipt, I don't have any viruses on my computers, so it must be on the server that contains the website.

If other's have received this message, let me know. Unless I get confirmation from someone I can identify as a "real member/moderator/administrator" for this forum, I am going to ignore it a spam. I hope it is, as I do enjoy these forums.
                    Hey Mark I got one too. Some one must think we are dip sticks. What gives it away is I have not been on the Hobart site for months so how do they know I have a virus or not. Who ever it is let them contact my provider because that's who I have security with. Some body needs to get a life that's for sure. Take care guys.
                    sigpic

Comment

Virus warning rootmoderator (spam!!!!)

This is spam and most likely has a virus linked to it. Please do not go to the linked website on this type of message.
                      Whenever you see a message like this, please report it to us immediately and do not click on the enclosed link.

Hobart Expert Keith

Comment

Keith,
                        I suggest you change the title on this thread to reflect the Virus on Private Messages. Most members would not read through it as "Need Moderator Help".
                        Burt

Miller 211AS
                        Miller 375 plasma cutter
                        Thunderbolt AC/DC
                        10FtDrillBit.com

Comment

I got it too and deleted it without opening it. My computer is pretty secure and I run virus and malware checks very frequently so I know right off that this was a scammer.

Don't open the email. Just delete it.

Comment

I to received the private message, & my dumba## clicked on it. Now my wife is pissed. I should know better. Def. need to suspend rootmoderators account.

Comment

Just got the "alert" from RooTModerator today .... oh, boy, my computer is fulla viruses, my account's gonna be suspended!!!!

Funny thing, though: my Norton 360 and AVG gave my computer a clean bill of health.

Comment

Working...
                              X