which welder? help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which welder? help please.

What would you guy's recommend for my needs. I run a tractor trailer outfit. I would like to keep most of the welding in house. Now the yard that we rent to park the equipment, is only 110. I would like to run a welder off of my generator, which is a Champion 6500 watts.
    We need something powerful enough to weld anything on 5 axle trailer, from mainframe to a side pocket.
    If it were completely necessary, I would buy a self contained unit used.

forget 110vac "battery chargers"

Miller Trailblazer 302
    I have one I use for semi trailer repair. Runs 7018 very well.. better than the Bobcat it replaced. I also run a 30A from it for AL repairs. It's a helluva setup
    Mike

sigpic WHEELED VEHICLE SERVICE SINCE 1960

Comment

Agree that running a 110 v welder for a trailer shop is not going to be what is needed. The options would be to either get an engine driven welder or wire an outlet for 220. For general repairs a DC stick machine would be more versatile and I wouldn't go under 200 amps minimum. You can go with a flux core wire but the machine is going to cost more than the same size stick welder.
      Jim

Miller MM 210
      Miller Dialarc 250P
      Airco 225 engine driven
      Victor O/A
      Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

generator drivin

What size welder would my generator drive. As I say, I only rent the spaces at the yard and I am limited to 110.

Comment

A Miller Maxstar 150, runs from both 120 and 240 and will run just dandy from that genset.
          http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Working...
          X