School Daze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Daze

I'm new too the site, 42 have never welded.

My question is should I take the one year class that seems like a ton of hours Length 12+ Months

Schedule
    Monday-Friday; 8 am-2 pm
    What they cover is.
    The most common four welding processes
    SMAW (Stick)
    GMAW (MIG)
    FCAW (Flux Core)
    GTAW (TIG)

Students also learn:
    OFC/W (Oxy-Fuel Cutting/Welding/Washing)
    CAC/G (Carbon Arc Cutting/Gouging)
    PAC/G (Plasma Arc Cutting/Gouging)

Is a year+ over kill and teaching me things I'll never use?

By looking around into welding and into boilmakers union it looks like I could get in as a helper/apprentice program and be making more quicker then a year of study.

I have no kids never been married,nothing tying me down and want to do whatever I can to be the best I can at welding and make the best living at it.Thank you for any help.
    Bobby~

well if your studying for occupational reasons, you can never over educate. stuff you may never use can still be good skill building irregardless.

Me, I love school, especially technical/trade school.

they specifically teach fluxcore? that's wild
    HH187

Hobart 500i plasma

CLARK 4.5" GRINDER

1/2 HORSE ROCKWELL/DELTA DRILL PRESS

30 gallom 1.6 hp compressor
    DREMELL

1998 JEEP CHEROKEE

XBOX 360

AGE AND WISDOM

DESIRE TO BUILD STUFF ON THE CHEAP

Comment

It depends on your situation and the quality of the course and the instructor. Is this mostly a hands-on course, or something along the lines of a junior college welding technology curriculum?
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

sounds like a good start

I took a 3 semester/2 class per semester welding program. You will learn the basics and maybe even figure out what you like. Use their gas for oxy/acetylene, try out all their equipment. You should be able to learn the basics of many different processes. It's a shame many low paid welders only know basic MIG and nothing about the technical aspects.
        fence and gate shop worker
        At home...
        Lincoln Power MIG 180....
        Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Hey bobbyintampa,
          Do yourself a favor and take the class. In that one year you will learn far more than as a helper. You need to grasp the arena that welding encompasses and the infinite variety of applications that you may encounter. A class allows you to do firsthand the processes and get to experience the myriad of steel, alum., & other metal alloys and their characteristics. Also, the theory of welding and the understanding of blueprints/symbols will certainly increase your comprehension level and have added value to a prospective employer. After 46 years of welding, I still learn new techniques/applications.....you can never learn too much. I have never been lacking work either on my own or for an employer.

The prime advantage of a class is you will make mistakes & that is the tool to learn to perfect your skills. Lastly, you will use a variety of equipment & material that is furnished for your benefit & you will be able to determine the area of processes you need the most practice..... learn them all. Knowledge is your best tool to advance your career. Welding is a superb career and your opportunities are limitless....only YOU hold yourself back. TAKE THE CLASS! Good luck.... Denny
          Complete weld/mach./fab shop
          Mobile unit

"A man's word is his honor...without honor, there is nothing."

"Words are like bullets.... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

"I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the American Flag & the US Constitution."

Comment

There is no such thing as too much education. I am a Union Boilermaker and I would say take the class! It will improve your skills and knowledge greatly and that may mean the difference between getting a position or not.

If you get into the apprenticeship you will have to make the decision as to accept or continue with school. That decision should be made after you are fully informed as to the advantages of both. DO NOT base it on a gut instinct. Make sure you know the FACTS! That said, the Boilermakers have been very good for me. As far as that goes, you may be done with school before getting into the apprenticeship. The apprenticeship is a good education by itself but combine it with the school that you are considering and you will have an awesome deal.

yorkiepap said it very well. Remember, the workplace gets more competitive all the time. It's up to you to be prepared. The only limits in life are what you place on yourself.

Good luck, Bob.
            Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union.

Comment

I will add my vote to what Denny and Bob have said...take the class...you will be much more valuable to an employer, that way. If you should get into industrial maintenance, you will use all of those skills. The most enjoyable part of my over half century career has been in industrial maintenance.

Comment

take the class.

Take the class and enjoy it. I studies Calculus 1 ,2 and 3. Differential Equations, Digital Logic, C language, Physics 1 and 2.Vector Mechanics and a bunch of other classes I did not think I needed for my degree but once in a while there is a problem that needs to be solved and things you studied come in handy.

Comment

Hello! Thanks for your post. Learning in itself is a good education, but combine it with the school you are considering and you will have a great deal.

Comment

Join the US Navy. they will have you welding on nuclear reactors after 32 weeks of training.
                    Edit, US Navy has age restriction of 17-39 years of age. Looks like you missed the cutoff by a couple of years. You would have enjoyed USN.
                    Last edited by birdshot; 08-08-2019, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X