Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignorance.......Potencially DEADLY !

We have so many welders at work from other countries,
    we have language teachers come in each week.

Asian and Latin for the most part.
    Complete with all our american Accutriments, cell-Fones, SUV's etc.

Missing are Winter Parkas, wool travel-blankets, bought at any travel-stop.
    Not even a flipp'n good hat, on some.
    We seem to be getting some old-fassion Winters again.

I also see allot of teens on the road with at best fall-jackets on.
    Attached garage homes, office-babe, off to the sky-scraper, to work.

A car in the ditch, windows broke out, even say +5 degees,
    but winds to 35 mph. Cell-phone throw out of reach, or in the case of many teens,
    "darwin types" , they don't even know the names of the roads they're on.....
    if they can call.

15 minutes, and you can kiss off your ears and fingers!
    another 15 and you can say hi to your maker.

Tell folks that may not understand, maybe your young-uns.
    Cheers
    VG
    sigpicViceGrip
    Negative people have a problem for every solution

It was cold here today. -30c, with wind chill , felt like -40c. Remember you can't be "cool" if you are wearing gloves, a toque, and boots. Some people just need to experience a life lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Glurg View Post
      It was cold here today. -30c, with wind chill , felt like -40c. Remember you can't be "cool" if you are wearing gloves, a toque, and boots. Some people just need to experience a life lesson.
      Today it will be 78 degrees here if the clouds remain...up into the mid 80's if they clear off...one of the BIG reasons I live in the Texas Hill Country after growing up on Lake Erie in western New York! (Brrrr.....)

Also, no road salt = no rust!

But...good Italian food is only found in expensive restaurants...

...but folks are MUCH nicer down here!!
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
        But...good Italian food is only found in expensive restaurants...

...but folks are MUCH nicer down here!!
        You got that right........on both accounts!!

You can plug your arteries solid, in Kenosha & Racine......
        but it's pure delight.

I brought in Kringle on friday my first week at WeldAll.
        the ____-heads on first never took a peice.

Second shift made quick-work of it.
        The best people are always on second.

VG
        sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Your post reminds me of when I was a young buck of about 16 and had the car quit me out on the interstate, an airforce guy gave me a ride to my dad's shop. I only had a lite jacket and it was about -20 and I was really cold. I asked my dad if we could swing by the house to get some more clothes, he told me if I was so tough, to just be tough and he towed me home while I froze steering the old car of mine. What a life lesson!

I still had to be cool and not wear a cap or wear gloves, but you can bet I always had winter gear in the trunk after that....
          Miller 140 A/S
          HF Flux Core
          Dewalt Chop Saw
          Smith O/A Torch
          Ryobi Grinder, Craftsman & HF Grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classicsigpic

Comment

Many years ago friends of mine got caught in one of the infamous lake effect snow storms in NY and had to pull off the road. They were on the way to their camp to snowmobile and put on their snowmobile suits to keep warm; woke up the next morning in the clear and were 25 feet from someone's house. (People up there will always take in stranded travelers if they see them.) Always carry warm clothing and candy bars etc., you never know when you'll get stuck. I've had eaten the kringle if I was there-it's really good!
            Blacksmith
            Stickmate LX AC/DC
            Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
            Hand cranked coal forge
            Freon bottle propane forge
            HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

We still have people die here in the summer off-roading without water.

Comment

I have discovered that when I shiver enough to have sparks fly from my chattering teeth and knocking knees, it does generate a wee bit of heat.
                --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
                  Always carry warm clothing and candy bars etc., you never know when you'll get stuck. I've had eaten the kringle if I was there-it's really good!
                  http://www.ohdanishbakery.com/

The old Hamilton Beach blender-factory is now "Kringle around the world".
                  actually bogs down UPS this time of year.

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                  We still have people die here in the summer off-roading without water.
                  Mac Is "here" here-ta-stay,? for now?

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
                  I have discovered that when I shiver enough to have sparks fly from my chattering teeth and knocking knees, it does generate a wee bit of heat.
                  D!ck , a good S.E. Wisconsin diet can correct that !
                  corse it shortens yer Life-Span too.

VG
                  sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
                    ...Mac Is "here" here-ta-stay,? for now?...
                    Yeah, I'm happy to be home...

Comment

Every year we who live in California read about hikers or fishermen who get lost in our nearby Sierra Nevada mountains in the Fall or early Spring. Many went out without warm clothing, or matches, or much food and were caught in unexpected snowstorms. Very few solitary hikers, it seems, didn't even think about carrying a portable GPS unit even though one can be purchased at Walmart for less than $100. Some are rescued after extensive (and expensive) searches. Some freeze to death or die from injuries sustained after falling off the side of a mountain or trail. Our mountains are beautiful but they can be unforgiving when snowstorms blanket them with snow and sleet. The same predicaments can happen to those who wander out into the lowlands, or even deserts, during winter. A little bit of knowledge about how to survive in the wild and a little bit of preparation before such a trip can save ones life.

Our weather here in Central California has turned "cold" (for our part of the country). Yesterday's low temp. was 22 degrees. Several areas of Southern California, like Malibu, had snow. With snow blanketing much of the U.S.A. this week - with areas such as Kansas having the lowest temperatures in 60 years - why hasn't Global Warming kicked in?

It's good to have you back, Mac - until your mission ventures take you to another part of the world.
                      LarryL

Comment

to talk global warming you need to take large averages over great lengths of time for the entire planet. Not saying I know much about the subject itself, but this involves the entire planet, hence global warming. Our lake levels in Lake Michigan have been down over the past decades, but there have been some wet years in some areas surrounding the Lake and it's tributaries

Comment

Tom H and Larry L.
                          Global warming - are you kidding?
                          Media hoax!

Folks who go out without proper clothing are called gene pool cleansers.

I saw a guy yesterday here 38° and he had on a T shirt as his outer garment. Not a cell leader at Mensa!

Hope all who come here have had as wonderful a Christmas season as I have had. My special thanks to you all for the depth of the shared wisdom (ex global warming). I have made quite a few gains resulting from my being able to tap into the wealth of experience you all bring and so willingly share.

Again, many thanks and Happy New Year to you all. Stay safe and Stay Warm. Not globally however HA!

Z
                          Lincoln 140
                          ESAB Heliarc
                          Miller Extreme 375
                          Antique OxyCetyl

Comment

I seen a kid at school wearing shorts and a wife beater shirt and it was 15 degrees out!!! And they wonder why everyones sick all of the time! Global Warming is a bunch of crap! Just look at the weather over the last 100 years theres been hotter and colder temps than we have had. Worse weather in cold winters and hotter summers! I agree with ya VG. People dont have any idea how to dress whens its cold out. You never know when something might happen. I dress to the hilt I go out and I dont care what I look like all I care about is being warm!!

Steve
                            Dont force it, use a BIGGER hammer.

Linde VI-252C and Linde wire feeder.
                            Hobart Cyberwave 300c.
                            HH 140.
                            Miller Big 40.
                            Lincoln SAE 200J.
                            Hobart GR-303.
                            Lincoln tombstone welder.

Comment

Acw

I spent a year in Fargo. Don't see that stuff up there - that cleansing really works. I was on a trip with the Guard and they wouldn't let you go unless you had heavy boots, a snowmobile suit and some kind of food and water along.

My Grandfather used to wear a small wool garment he had specially made around his middle, when I asked him about it he told me he never had back problems like the guys who let their back muscles get chilled.

No point in going on about the warming thing. Want to see something interesting? Go to Youtube and look up Yuri Bezmenov and listen to what he says about the media. Having brains enough to do this you will need no further explanation. This is an old video, however I assure you the topics are more relevant today than then.

A very special Merry Christmas to you, and good luck getting that parasitic blogo into the dumper!

Z
                              Lincoln 140
                              ESAB Heliarc
                              Miller Extreme 375
                              Antique OxyCetyl

Comment

Working...
                              X