safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safety

I have been welding for many years and this winter I decided to build another welding table that I can weld and store my welders on. About half way through the build, a person my son knows said the you should not use the same table for welding and storeing the units on. I was told it is not safe and you could burn your units out. Is this true and is it something new?

Originally posted by rick65 View Post
    I have been welding for many years and this winter I decided to build another welding table that I can weld and store my welders on. About half way through the build, a person my son knows said the you should not use the same table for welding and storeing the units on. I was told it is not safe and you could burn your units out. Is this true and is it something new?
    The only problem is that the welding table is frequently part of the return circuit if the work cable is attached to the table. I would be more concerned about the exposure to heat, sparks, metal dust,etc, that the machines are exposed to, and effects on operation and resale value.

Comment

I prefer my machine portable (on cart) so I can do work a ways away from table (if I had one) .... But in my mind, the output of welder should be isolated from chassis but then welder chassis is probable "safety" grounded with supply circuit... Which might make table common to "ground" side of welder.... But can not see where this might be a problem electrically... It also puts all access to controls down low where not to convenient, and if unit is MIG you are down on your butt under table to do any wire changes or polarity changes...

Dale
      "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
        ...I would be more concerned about the exposure to heat, sparks, metal dust,etc,..
        This. But if mitigated to your satisfaction; it wouldn't concern me at all.

Comment

Welcome to the site but I would not store any of my welding units on the same table I was welding on!
          A few of my toys !!!

MX Linux
          LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
          Lincoln Weldpak 100
          Gianttech Arc 200
          Victor O/A

Comment

Working...
          X