Alaskan thawing out in Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaskan thawing out in Washington

Hello to all. I am brand new to the world of welding!
    My first car was a 64 Catalina 2 door hardtop and now at this juncture in life...46...I have purchased another 64 Cat. This one is a conververtible and has extensive rust at the bottom of the rear quarter panels...they flap in the wind! I just built a two car garage 18 months ago and am finding myself delving into all kinds of tools and goodies to support this passion of older muscle cars.
    I saw a great offer yesterday (so I thought) on craigslist and jumped into purchasing a MIG welder. It is a Telwin model 90090 about 15 years old and has two bottles and two small rolls of wire. One roll is clearly marked "Spoolarc continuous aluminum" 1 lb. type 4043 size .030
    The other I amyet to identify is on the unit and almost gone. It looked like copper but actually at the feed I see the regular steel...flux type...I don't know enough yet about welding.
    I realize a MIG has the beauty of working with aluminum and stainless on lighter gauge material and this will be nice to have in those applications. I will need to fire her up and test her out.
    I also plan a trip thru a local welding supply shop to pick up some pointers. This unit didn't have a user guide or manual so I am reading the basic welding articles and links at present...may take a college type welding class, who knows.
Working...
X