Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up and older one

Hello,

Should have probably posted here as my first post but oh well...can't win them all.

I just recently bought a Beta-Mig 200 with the SP-2000 spool gun. It appears it was originally bought/used by the Navy...theirs one of those military non-removable stickers on the back of the unit (anyone in the military knows the ones I'm talking about).

Overall it's in good physical shape with fairly low usuage. The cover has some bent up spots that I've already fixed. I'm missing some of the spool hub pieces like the nut and spacer but plan on ordering these shortly. Other then the inside being dirty which I'm currently cleaning out...it's in a fairly decent condition.

Keith was kind enough to send a copy of the unit manual and spoolgun manual. Once I get this unit cleaned up...I'd like to see about adding the backburn timer/spot weld panel and the unit handle.

I presume the handle was an option? The manual doesn't show it as one...but I've run across 15 (of which only 3 where local) or so some beta-mig 200s over the last six months and only one had the handle. I see no evidence that my unit ever had a handle (still has the original color/stickers, so I don't think it's ever been repainted).

Anyway...I'm new to welding so I look forward to learning.
    Last edited by stkcode; 01-27-2009, 05:14 PM.
    Jon
    Hobart Beta-Mig 200
    Smith Proportional Mixer CO2/Argon
    Buffalo Forge No. 22 Drill Press

STK,

Welcome to the forum. You may be in luck with the timer. Couple of years ago I was trying to find one for my Portafeed 17. Looked for a good 6 months until I found one new in the box. Probably the last one in existence Anyway, got it shipped to my door, mounted it, went to plug it in to the welder and noticed that the plugs didn't quite match up. So I contacted Hobart and Thermal Arc, only to figure out that my spec# was different. Seems like my Portafeed was made during the transition between Hobart and Thermal Arc. It's been sitting here on a shelf ever since, in case I got a Beta Mig. Call Hobart with your spec # and see if what I have will work. It's part #200010A Spot/Stitch timer kit, still in the original Hobart box and electrostatic plastic with a notched gas nozzle for a GAL style mig gun. If it will, and you're interested, for $200 I'll ship it right to your door. I have pictures, and if someone can tell me how to put them in a post, I'll get a couple on here. ---Mike---
    BUY AMERICAN... THE JOB YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!!!!!

Hobart Champion 16
    Miller external secondary contactor
    stick foot pedal
    remote voltage control(homemade)
    Hobart Portafeed 17(w AG-2000 control box)
    Bernard Q350 mig gun
    Hobart AG-2000 pull gun
    Lincoln Hi-Freq k799(yes, I know it's red)
    Weldcraft CS300 tig torch
    Miller RFC-23A foot pedal
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50
    Victor 450/300 series torches
    oodles of connecting cords

I can fix it, just pay me to replace it first

Comment

Hey Mike,

That might work...I'll contact Hobart and find out.

I've sent you a pm...if you could just email the pictures to me that would be great.

Thanks,
      Jon

BTW...I found indications that my beta-mig did at one point in time have a handle, so it appears the manual is correct and I'm not. Hopefully I can find one...or worse case just make one.
      Jon
      Hobart Beta-Mig 200

Comment

Boy, I cant seem to win (or type for that matter)...I went to the LWS and bought a 20# CO2 bottle for the beta. Turns out I pretty much have to run a larger (30# or 40#) bottle no matter what. The carryall top support is right in the way...so no way to attach the regulator/flowmeter without turning it sideways (which makes the flowmeter useless) or heading towards the back...which it wouldl stick out and I'll probably break it off by accident.

Of course when I went in the guy behind the counter said beta-what...whats that...and didn't know what a CGA320 valve end is either. Go figure.

Looks like another trip to the LWS again

At least their not real picky on their bottles...some bozo put teflon tape on the threads (in fact, most of the bottles had teflon tape on the valve ends)...he said if the threads are messed up just to bring it back for another one.
        Last edited by stkcode; 01-30-2009, 08:53 PM.
        Jon
        Hobart Beta-Mig 200

Comment

STK,

Sent pics to Yahoo. A Beta mig 200 manual I have shows a "carry all kit", (Part #200005A-1), that includes a handle.... or handle part #405967 is listed separately. Don't know if its still available, but if not, most welders I know have just boted on a barn door pull handle. Sounds like you need to find another LWS, or ask to speak to somebody else from now on. Try to find one that does repairs also. They seem to know more. Most other places are just parts pushers, and don't know what half the stuff they're selling does. A little extra drive time might be worth the hassle of only making one trip. BTW, where about do you live? ---Mike---

Hobart Champion 16
          stick foot pedal
          Bernard Q350 mig gun
          Hobart AG-2000 pull gun

Comment

Hmm...thats a good idea. Hadn't thought about using a barn door handle. The original handles are discontinued (actually, one of the first things I just on parts availability). I ran across a barn door handle that almost looks exactly like the original handle, but it's about an 1" longer though.

I'm located in Apple Valley, CA. We mostly only have two chain type LWS stores here...theirs not much in choices unless I plan on driving over an hour one-way. Mostly stuck with Airgas Co. or California Tools and Welding Supply. Their might be some others...but I haven't run across them yet.

Both are high on prices...with probably the exception of gas. It's pretty bad when it's cheaper to buy parts/spool of wire out of the area, pay shipping costs and still be cheaper then the local shops. Since it's a desert area, their aren't much in Tractor Supply places that I'm aware of...mostly just feed supply stores which don't carry welding supply...or a very limited supply if they do.

I know both above places don't know much...my neighbor goes to Airgas...guys their no nothin'. They keep telling him the gold series glass lenses have been discontinued...their just full of it. They've been telling him that for 20 years...and he's still been buying them. So lately he's just been buying off the internet for this reason.
            Jon
            Hobart Beta-Mig 200

Comment

STK,

I'm not impressed with my local Airgas either. Try these guys.... http://www.stoodyind.com/. I've dealt with them before and they seem pretty good. Plus they have one heck of an online pdf catalog. Maybe thay have an 800 number they can give you. ---Mike---

Hobart Champion 16
              stick foot pedal
              Bernard Q350 mig gun
              Hobart AG-2000 pull gun

Comment

Thanks for the link Mike. Actually, they appear to have a location only about 12 miles or so away from where I'm located...that might work out good.
                Jon
                Hobart Beta-Mig 200

Comment

Working...
                X