New guy about to take the plunge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy about to take the plunge

My name is Austin and I am very close (actually bidding right now on a HH140) to buying my first welder. I've been working on and off as a Mechanic - auto in my civilian life and aircraft in the marine corps - for about 9 years. I've been around welding, tried welding and more recently while I was working for Schneider in Southern California got to lay quite a few beads for repair work. Now that I have a decent feel for what machines are what, i wished I had payed more attention to what it was I was actually using (I know it was 240v though).

I've never been taught anything at all and have gone based off of what I've seen with my two eyes. I've always wanted to learn and my wife has recently given me the "go ahead". Unfortunately we rent, thus we've no 230/240v outlet/lines anywhere available for me to buy myself a nice HH187 like I would like to. Based on my readings on this board the last month that seems like it would be the most efficient/cost effective machine that I could buy. If I were allowed to install my own line I would do so; this obviously limits me to the "upper" end of a 120v machine. I am really just trying to find a good price on a HH140, Lincoln 3200HD or any other with similar specs (those are the two that seem most appealing).

My purpose is for home brewed fabrication of automotive mostly. I have no doubts there will be a plethora of other projects that life will bring my way; however, my intention is mostly for non-frame automotive repair/fab work. I hate to start off with something I "can" outgrow quickly (by that I mean once I learn foundational work then manifolds/flanges/piping/braces can all be around 1/4"+) but my ability to use a 230v line is nil.

I'm excited to have found this site (recommended from a friend) and have found a great deal of useful information from you folk already.

If you have electric dryer in your garage there is power for small 220V welder.

Comment

I sure wish I did; just inside the house and nothing in the garage (a/c, dryer, range). Even if there was, shouldn't the line be dedicated to the one out let only for welding? Is it ok to parallel off of another 220v outlet? If so, perhaps I could do so from the house and only weld when the dryer isn't in operation There are 2 open slots and I am actually going to hold off until I can reach my landlord to ask if I can install a line. I figure its worth a try because deep down I'd really like to have the HH187.

I will start my searching on here but in the mean time are there any decent links for cost/parts (I've got an idea already) associated with installing a 220v line with a 30a breaker. I figure I will need to pony up about $30-35 for this?
      Last edited by noahrexion; 01-25-2009, 09:05 AM.

Comment

If you had dryer outlet in garage unplug dryer and pug in welder. The outlet is then dedicated to one thing a welder. Electric stoves now plug into 220 volt outlet rated for 50 amps while dryers are rated for 35 amps. At least one welder has run stove power out window to patio for welding. Shouldn't use romex for extension cord. Your landlord might not like you doing this.

Comment

Just ordered the HH140 from TSC. $435 shipped.

Any recommendations on gas mix (all mild steel welding) and/or auto - dark helmets? I suppose I will have to find somewhere to go and get a gas cylinder.

Comment

Working...
          X