Newbie welder - love the site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie welder - love the site!

Hi! My name is Deb, from Western Pa. and I just got a new HH 187 to help in restoring muscle cars (I have only done mechanical and some minor body & paint). I have never welded before in my life until Saturday (I made my own 220 extension cord though, and didn't blow anything up, so it's a good start!!)

I welded with the flux core roll that came with the welder, and it was impossible to see what I was doing until the arc started, and by then it was too late....my hand had moved and the weld ended up in the wrong place, and they are just little "blobs" of metal! I read that you can attach a small LED flashlight to help see better. Any other ideas would be useful. Also, I set it on #1 voltage first and wire speed 30 (using .035 wire) then turned it up to 2 since it didn't seem to be "puddling" at all. Not that I could have really seen it if it had! I guess practice will solve most of this. I will be getting gas soon but wanted to practice without first. Anyway great forum!

GLAD TO MEET YOU DEB, theres alot of folks here that can answer and help you along you learning process. i can help some. oh what lense shade do you have in your helmet?
    lincoln pt225
    hack saw & a hammer
    oh & a shovel

Comment

Hi! Thanks for the welcome! I don't what lens it has, but it's pretty dark! Can't see my hand in front of my face with the thing on! I saw at the local farm store you can buy lenses. How light can I go without hurting my eyes?
      Thanks!

Comment

maybe a #10 thats with i use with mig
        lincoln pt225
        hack saw & a hammer
        oh & a shovel

Comment

what i use with mig i spell good lol
          lincoln pt225
          hack saw & a hammer
          oh & a shovel

Comment

Originally posted by mschargergarage View Post
            Hi! My name is Deb, from Western Pa. and I just got a new HH 187 to help in restoring muscle cars (I have only done mechanical and some minor body & paint). I have never welded before in my life until Saturday (I made my own 220 extension cord though, and didn't blow anything up, so it's a good start!!)
            Welcome...
            While perhaps a bit boring, "No Booms" is always a good sign

Originally posted by mschargergarage View Post
            I welded with the flux core roll that came with the welder, and it was impossible to see what I was doing until the arc started, and by then it was too late....my hand had moved and the weld ended up in the wrong place, and they are just little "blobs" of metal! I read that you can attach a small LED flashlight to help see better. Any other ideas would be useful. Also, I set it on #1 voltage first and wire speed 30 (using .035 wire) then turned it up to 2 since it didn't seem to be "puddling" at all. Not that I could have really seen it if it had! I guess practice will solve most of this. I will be getting gas soon but wanted to practice without first. Anyway great forum!
            First, there should be a table pasted on the machine someplace, and one
            in the manual, that gives recommended settings for wire-speed and output
            for different thicknesses of material. While it's not always exactly right, it's
            usually a good place to start. The gun may be at an inappropriate
            distance from the work piece -- try moving it closer (or farther).
            You may also be moving the gun along too fast -- it does take some time
            for the machine to pump enough heat into the weld to make a nice puddle
            so maybe move the gun slower. But not too much slower -- you'll start to
            burn through the base metal... Basically, experiment, varying speed, distance,
            and settings. Having someone around who knows what they are doing
            would help.

Second, don't skimp on the helmet & lens -- you get one set of eyes.
            Generally, a #10 shade is recommended. Some people have said you could
            go down to #9 -- but I figure that my vision is more important than
            making good welds (I do this as a hobby -- buildings don't collapse
            if I mess up). A couple of tricks you could try

- get an auto-dark helmet -- the lens stays "less dark" until the
            arc is actually started, so you have more time to see what's going
            on.

- use some soapstone sticks (sold at all the finest welding supply
            houses) to whiten up around where you're welding. The white helps
            you to see where things are against the background of the dark metal,

- hold the torch in one hand and place a finger of the other hand
            on the joint you are welding, then 'feel' for your finger with the torch.

- as you imply with your flashlight suggestion, more ambient
            light... High powered work lights, a directed flash light, the sun, would
            all work.

Frank

Comment

Welcome

Hi Deb,

Welcome to the forum!

John

Comment

Working...
              X