Greetings from NoCal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from NoCal

I've been lurking here a bit lately. Unfortunately, I wish I'd visited the board before I purchased my HH140 (I'd probably have opted for the HH187--I didn't realize it would run on a dryer outlet).

Back in 1980 and '81 I spent a year in a welding program in Rosemount, MN (hometown) but then joined the USAF. My recruiter either couldn't help me find a job to use my welding training or he was trying to fill other quotas. Anyway, I bought a HH120 back around 1990 and enjoyed that for a few years before I sold it to my brother (I kick myself). Earlier this year I took an autobody class at the local community college and needed to do a bit of welding on my project and I was itching to own my own welder again. I really wanted a tig and tried a V155 at the local Airgas, but I wasn't keen with the scratch start and it seemed to be running weak on a 100ft 14 ga extension cord. Then a TSC opened up close by in Dixon and one day my wife was feeling generous (a bit naive, too) and said it was okay to buy a welder, so I got an HH140 (for the 110 portability). I melted all the flux core wire that came with it on a cart/table (I'll have to post that project soon) and now I'm gas shielded.
    I'll be looking for a 200DX or TA185 or 200 as soon as I can fund it... And an oxy/acetylene setup, and a plasma cutter, and a big scrap pile, and so on...
    I really missed melting metal.
    Great forum.
    Galen <><
    Retired Air Force
    HH140, TA185, TD Cutmaster 52, Smith O/A, and too much other stuff for my suburban abode.

Do yourself a favor before all the other welding purchases...first think big honkin' diamond for the wife. Either that or start measuring up the doghouse for a new addition...
    Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Point well made.
      I'd like to think I've been doing some banking in that department. Maybe not so much in gemstones, but she's got a lot (and I mean A LOT) of collectibles.
      Of course, even though the sum total of the purchases of a lot of little things adds up to more than a spiffy new welder, it's not seen that way in the eyes of the sweet one.
      Galen <><
      Retired Air Force
      HH140, TA185, TD Cutmaster 52, Smith O/A, and too much other stuff for my suburban abode.

Comment

Welcome, gda. It sounds as if you're from the Sacramento area. Since California is such a populous state, there probably are a large number of us living in the state who tune in to this forum. I myself am living in the Fresno area.

I'm sure that you will enjoy participating in this forum. Here there are a lot of helpful experts (myself excluded) who can supply answers to your questions.

It sounds to me that you may need to fire up your imagination and begin to create some items with your welder that will enhance your wife's collections. Metal cabinets, shelves, and display stands are some of the useful accessories that readily come to mind for most collections. If you have an artistic bent, you might even learn to create some of the objects that she enjoys collecting, such as jewelry. Convince her of the usefulness of welding and how it enhances her life, and, she may drop all resistance to your getting a new welder.
        LarryL

Comment

And DON'T set the garage on fire .....
          *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
            And DON'T set the garage on fire .....
            Even more importantly,

Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Zrexxer View Post
              Even more importantly,

..or weld in sandals or sneakers...(I did in sneakers again last week, and 'took one' right between the toes...AGAIN!!)
              "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

I've been a little notorious of late for welding in a t-shirt, shorts, and Birkenstock garden clogs or running shoes. Shame on me! I know better. My wife doesn't like it when I burn myself or make holes in my clothes. I need to be careful with the grinder, too, or I'm going to start a fire. Usually, I do it all outside for safety's sake. The fire extinguisher is near by and I may buy another and attach it to my welding cart.
                As soon as I figure out how to post some photos without having a photo hosting subscription (if it's even possible), I'll get around to it. I think my cart design is a little unique as it incorporates a fold out table.

It's been nice to have the HH140 around for making some little things like a metal bracket to hang my wife's plastic Santa head above the garage door. Little to me, precious to her. 'Tis the season.

I also made some custom shelf brackets for the pantry to replace the sticks of scrap lumber that used to go to the floor. I put in new flooring and needed to clear the floor. That's the practical side.

I've been welding up some holes on my '88 Land Cruiser--I hate cheezy trim pieces and rust (it used to live in Utah).

Indeed, I am in Vacaville. Just down I-80 from Sacramento.

One of these days, I'm going to have to try my hand with some artsy projects.

Thanks for the encouragement. Looking forward to contributing some here and there and learning lots from all of you.
                Galen <><
                Retired Air Force

Comment

Working...
                X