new member using old rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member using old rod

Just wanting to say thanks for letting me join your group. I enjoy reading through the posts and reading the answers. I have been an electronic technician since 1976 with most of the training coming from the military. I can't really get into that too much, but I am quite versed in the field. I have been attempting to weld since 1973 or there about. I have burnt up around 800 lbs of rod/metal so far using stick ac, dc, tig, mig and o/a. Currently using Hobart champion 10,000, running compressor and Lincoln Pro cut 55 plazma cutter. Gave 300.00 for pro cut and had to put another 8.00 in parts to make it work. Lincoln could not supply the part as it was the same part bad on all of their boards without a source of repair part. I repaired mine and offered to repair any board they sent to me with that part out at 40.00 but they declined. Oh well their loss. I have a miller ac/dc, hobart tig, lincoln sp130 and victor torch/welder set up. I have a question for anyone that is still reading... I have some rod that only has color dots on them. I used to burn the **** out of them to cut with before I progressed to a o/a torch and then up to the pro cut machine. I have read through several postings on how to read these and only partially get an answer. I get some of the color coding as far as a color represents this or that but still need the system of reading the dots. Which one first then second and so on. Any further help would be greatly appreciated. I have used some to weld with and get good results, but I would really like to know what I am using just in case. I am the type that basically has to know it all or I can't sleep at night. I also have an old Airco Hornet special missing any wiring diagram that it might have had. The machine came to me from Ebay and was supposed to have been working. After several cans of carb cleaner and cleaning up the points the motor basically runs fair, but the welder will not pull an arc of any kind. All the wires are the same color which makes it harder in trying to track down what goes where. Any help or suggestions on this unit is also very welcome. Thanks again for letting me in..

Welcome aboard. You electronic background is welcome.

Please don't use all capital letters when posting. Makes harder to read. On old use net message boards all caps was considered shouting rudely.

Comment

Welcome to the forums, looks like you've got some heavy duty equipment.
      Miller 140 A/S
      HF Flux Core
      Dewalt Chop Saw
      Smith O/A Torch
      Ryobi Grinder, Craftsman & HF Grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classicsigpic

Comment

Working...
      X