Sheet metal & aluminum welding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheet metal & aluminum welding?

I do a little welding with an AC/DC stick welder. I would like to do light duty sheet metal and aluminum welding. What is my best (cheapest) option. MIG, TIG, wire, gas? Confused ...Don

What thickness aluminum and how critically do you really need aluminum ability?
    A Hobart HH140 is a very economically priced and good quality MIG. It CAN weld thin (as thin as 14-guage) aluminum, and will weld steel as thin as 24-guage. You need argon gas for the aluminum and either CO2 gas (as thin as 22-gauge only) or an argon MIX with 15 - 25% CO2 for the steel.

By far the best option for aluminum capability is an added spoolgun, but this is much more efffective on slightly larger machines, like the 180- and 210-amp classes, which need 240V power.

Most people find their need for aluminum to be overanticipated, especially in light of the added expense to do it properly.

Comment

You're BEST option for thin metal and aluminum would be a TIG machine like the dynasty 200 dx. Your CHEAPEST option would be what MAC702 suggested.

You COULD gas weld aluminum, but I hear it isn't easy. I haven't tried it myself.
      Lincoln Idealarc 250
      Lincoln Weldanpower CC/CV engine drive
      Lincoln LN-25 wire feeder
      Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
      Various oxy-fuel setups featuring Victor, Harris, and Prest-o-lite products

Comment

Additional info

My welder is a 240 volt machine with 230 amp AC and 180 amp DC capability. Can you expand on your comment about adding a "spoolgun"? I am a retired electrical engineer with experience in military electronics (radar, avionics etc) but nothing in the power field. I want to weld a lightweight aluminum mast support for winter storage for my sailboat. My current steel fabrication works fine, but is getting heavier as I get older! Eventually I would like to weld a stainless steel wind-vane support for self-steering gear for my sailboat so I do not have to hand steer all the time. ...Don

Comment

What is the make model of machine you already have?

Picture a spool gun being a hand held wire feeder. Many MIG machines require them for aluminum welding.
          Lincoln Idealarc 250
          Lincoln Weldanpower CC/CV engine drive
          Lincoln LN-25 wire feeder
          Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
          Various oxy-fuel setups featuring Victor, Harris, and Prest-o-lite products

Comment

Working...
          X