Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto darkening (solar) helmet

Good day everyone

I got a Hobart handler 140 several years ago for a future project which I needed time to locate & purchase parts for. I've mig welded many years ago before, at my uncle's shop, but I've got lots to learn. Have been watching up on several videos and also preparing all the metal I will need for patching, and getting the welder set up.

My welder came with Hobarts solar auto darkening mask. I held a lighter up to it, and it seemed to darken for a second, then it got lighter again. My question is, how do I know if I need a new auto darkening lense? Shouldn't it stay dark as long as the lighter is lit? Should I set this out in the sun awhile or just order a new auto darkening lense?

If I need a new lense - any recommendations? Thanks!

A lighter may not be bright enough to darken the helmet. The sparks from the striker on the lighter are probably what is making it flicker on and off. A good way to test it would be taking it outside and holding it up to the sun, don't look at the sun through it, but see if it darkens.

Comment

Thanks I did a bunch of tests, I wasn't satisfied with the darkening so I ordered a new one. Anyone know why these lenses are throw-aways, made so you can't easily replace their batteries?

Comment

What helmet series was it? It should be printed on the front of the lens.

Comment

Originally posted by vwooom View Post
          Thanks I did a bunch of tests, I wasn't satisfied with the darkening so I ordered a new one. Anyone know why these lenses are throw-aways, made so you can't easily replace their batteries?
          I found that most are throw a way element because some units are sealed and it is most likely destroyed when trying to get into them.... I made sure the my replacement "element" has replaceable battery's and a test button when I replaced it...
          "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Working...
          X