Auto darkening helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto darkening helmet

I have an auto darkening helmet that only lightens a little after done welding. As it is, it’s pretty much useless as an auto darkening helmet. It used to work fine. It is a few years old, but I have used it very little over the years. Now I can barely see out of it. It’s basically just like my non darkening helmet now. I welded outside and inside the shop, and nothing. I mean it works fine as a welding helmet, just not really an auto darkening helmet anymore because of the inability to see out of it in the non welding state. I changed batteries numerous times, made sure the lens and cartridge was clean, but still nothing. It was fairly clean because it was rarely used. I maybe used it 3 dozen times. I went to use it a few days ago and I realized it wasn’t working right. It’s a Lincoln Nexgen EQC. I thought purchasing a little more expensive helmet would have lasted longer. I purchased it new. Any thoughts as to why it stays too dark? Thank you for any input.

My Jackson EQC Executive is older than the Nexgens, and is still working perfectly 16 years later. I just upgraded it to the newer headgear last year. My first thought was the cover plate being smoky but you say it's clean, so I've got nothing.

Comment

I turned on my Nexgen, and put it to shade 10, and it’s only slightly brighter than my fixed shade helmet that has a shade 10 in it. Looking down it’s very dark, maybe about 95% dark, I have to look up at the sky to actually see through it. I look at the sky with both the fixed and auto on shade 10, and the auto is only slightly brighter. I bought a cheap hundred dollar Hobart, because I need an auto darkening helmet for an upcoming job, and looking through that is about like looking through a glass window. I almost forgot how bright they can be. That’s only because I rarely used the Nexgen, only on special jobs. I’d like to have a spare but don’t want to spend roughly 250 bucks for a new Nexgen cartridge. I’ll probably just buy another 100 dollar Hobart. Thanks again for any input.

Comment

I've been using this Eastwood L6700 for about 9 months or so and it works perfectly....on sale for $64.97

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-la...met-l6700.html

Gregg
        Handler 210MVP
        Stickmate 210i

Comment

Have you tried lowering the sensitivity setting?
          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Working...
          X