Need new helmet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new helmet

After about 10 years my Miller Big Window Elite has stopped working. It said low battery, so I changed batteries and it won't turn on. I am looking at a Digital Infinity, but would consider others if they had good reviews.
    Last edited by jeffgod; 11-21-2016, 09:39 PM.
    MM 175
    Miller M-225P A.C. Arc Welder (1966)
    Miller Big Window Elite A/D hood
    Victor O/A Torch
    Milwaukee 8" metal cutting saw

Originally posted by jeffgod View Post
    After about 10 years my Miller Big Window Elite has stopped working. It said low battery, so I changed batteries and it won't turn on. I am looking at a Digital Infinity, but would consider others if they had good reviews.
    I think this is a good deal, but you would have to wait for re-stocking.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...elmet-1007-070

Comment

After getting prices for a replacement module, a brand new Digital Infinity with 3 year warranty, is $30.00 more. Easy decision to make.
      MM 175
      Victor O/A Torch

Comment

You might already know this, but the Miller Elite series of helmets are finicky about the brand of battery. The problem is with the shape, which might not make contact with the terminals in the module. Miller recommends Panasonic. I just replaced the batts in my Digital Elite; I used batteries made by Sony and they work fine.

Also at least for the Digital Elite, the battery fixtures that slide into the module cannot be swapped left from right even though they will fit. The manual should have a line drawing showing the proper orientation. You can download the manual for your helmet here: https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts
        The drop-down box on the right side of the page allows for searches and it will be under "HELMET ELITE".
        CanoeCruiser
        Harris dual-stage O/A
        Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
        Hobart IronMan 210
        Lincoln PowerMig 135
        Miller 3035 spoolgun
        Thermal Arc 185
        Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
        Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
        Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Thank you for the info, canoecruiser, I did not know that about the batteries. I will give that a try. You might have saved me some money!!! Here's hoping.
          MM 175
          Victor O/A Torch

Comment

I just checked the battery fixtures that you were talking about. I swapped them left to right and it powered up. That was the solution, thank you so much!!!! You just saved me a pile of money. I checked when I bought that helmet and it was in 2004, still going strong with a minor hiccup. Thank you so much for the fix. I owe you one, CanoeCruiser.
            MM 175
            Victor O/A Torch

Comment

I'm glad I was able to help a brother welder out. I appreciate the thanks and you're most welcome, though it was a payment on account. People here have generously assisted me when I needed help so I'm happy to be able to pass it on. Cheers!
              CanoeCruiser
              Harris dual-stage O/A
              Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
              Hobart IronMan 210
              Lincoln PowerMig 135
              Miller 3035 spoolgun
              Thermal Arc 185
              Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
              Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
              Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Glad I read this thread. I'd have never thought that would make the difference, and mine is about to need batteries again.

I've not bought a hood since my BWE in 2005, and it as well as the Jackson EQC Executive I had for two years before that are both still going strong, with a few pixels out here and there. I've been impressed by the longevity of both of these hoods.

Comment

I looked at BWE, I bought it in 2004, batteries last about 2 years. I can't believe that I never switched the battery fixtures around until this year.
                  MM 175
                  Victor O/A Torch

Comment

I used my new HTP Striker today with a cheater lens. I can't compare it to any other auto darkening helmet because it's the first one I have ever used. Along with the cheater lens it was like a blind man being cured. It has a clarity rating of 1/1/1/1 and changes in 1/30,000 and has 4 sensors. For 100 bucks I find it money well spent. But like I say all I've ever used since I took up the hobby of welding is cheap flip types and I was very impressed but I can't compare it to any other brand of auto darkening helmet.

Comment

Not sure what welding process you are using... But along with cheaters I use a head light on my helmet to illuminate area where I was going to run bead... Really helps with old eyes...

For concept...

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ing-helmet-mod

Dale
                      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
                        Not sure what welding process you are using... But along with cheaters I use a head light on my helmet to illuminate area where I was going to run bead... Really helps with old eyes...

For concept...

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ing-helmet-mod

Dale
                        I'm using mig. I could tape a light on top of the helmet, I think I've seen rigs to attach a pen light to the mig gun also. I know one thing the auto darkening helmet will help me improve my welding.

Comment

The only light I have seen attached light under mig gun... Doesn't work for me as I usually push my beads and I can control where light goes ( helmet mount) with moving my head (after initial alignment) by moving my head.. I have strong (small) LED flashlight "duct" taped to my helmet at this point as I don't want to drill helmet for permanent installation till find "perfect lamp"...

Really like what this person did, but cant seem to locaet same LED assembly...

Dale
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by odis View Post
                            I'm using mig. I could tape a light on top of the helmet, I think I've seen rigs to attach a pen light to the mig gun also. I know one thing the auto darkening helmet will help me improve my welding.
                            Or, use these. I have a pair, usually only use one, but built an adjustable stand for both, light wherever you want it, $10 each on sale.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
                              Or, use these. I have a pair, usually only use one, but built an adjustable stand for both, light wherever you want it, $10 each on sale.
                              That concepts helps too...

Dale

Comment

Working...
                              X