Arc Flash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arc Flash

I always check my auto darking hood by holding it up to a bright light to make sure it darkens. I held it up to the sun and it did turn dark. I was welding outside and the temp was about 33 (mfg said temp must be 23 and above). My total welding time was about 60 seconds broken up into 10 second times. I added 10 extra seconds to be safe. As I was welding I was surprised that I was able to see the area that I was welding so clearly or not as dark as I am used to. What I did not realize is that I think my hood was not going dark. After about 50 total seconds or 5 welds is when I realized it. The mig tip did cover or shield most of the arc I think. I did recheck the hood and it does go dark. I am certain that the hood did not go dark the last time because I was checking to make sure it went dark. Well it did not go dark. Do you think that I got arc flashed? If I did do you think it will be a bad flash? I read that even if the hood does not go dark that there is still protection from the glass. The box says that UV/IR protection up to shade DIN 16 at all times. I am a novice welder and I weld very little. Thanks for all your responses.
    Last edited by azatin; 02-27-2016, 07:13 PM.

Welcome to the forum.
    The one time I got flashed was about 45 years ago.
    It was from a reflection in a shop went to bed that night felt like someone pored sand in my eyes.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast PA 200

Comment

Originally posted by azatin View Post
      I always check my auto darking hood by holding it up to a bright light to make sure it darkens. I held it up to the sun and it did turn dark. I was welding outside and the temp was about 33 (mfg said temp must be 23 and above). My total welding time was about 60 seconds broken up into 10 second times. I added 10 extra seconds to be safe. As I was welding I was surprised that I was able to see the area that I was welding so clearly or not as dark as I am used to. What I did not realize is that I think my hood was not going dark. After about 50 total seconds or 5 welds is when I realized it. The mig tip did cover or shield most of the arc I think. I did recheck the hood and it does go dark. I am certain that the hood did not go dark the last time because I was checking to make sure it went dark. Well it did not go dark. Do you think that I got arc flashed? If I did do you think it will be a bad flash? I read that even if the hood does not go dark that there is still protection from the glass. The box says that UV/IR protection up to shade DIN 16 at all times. I am a novice welder and I weld very little. Thanks for all your responses.
      You are in little danger of being flashed, since almost all AD helmets provide full protection, even if they don't darken, but your eyes may take up to 45 minutes to recover, depending on your age and eye-condition. Arc flash will show, generally, in 24-48 hrs. and will be very painful, since it is actually a burn of the surface of your eye-ball, and may result in blistering, if severe. Even with treatment, may take weeks to recover, if severe.

Comment

If you are reading this now, and did not have uncomfortable night before, you are probably safe....

Dale
        Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Well thanks everyone. I was just upset and kind of nervous that I just hurt myself and did not even know it was happening. So I do not think that I caused any damage to my eyes because I do not have any symptoms of arc flash, no tearing, no pain from bright light, feeling of sand in my eyes. The only thing that I feel is my eyes seem to feel a little dry. It has been over 24 hours now and I think I will be ok. Thanks again for all your info and advice.

Comment

Only thing to do now is do some tests on helmet... IS it style with batteries?... IF so what was last time they were checked?... I'm not really sure how you can not notice that lens is not darkening, ....

Dale
            Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by azatin View Post
              Clean lens cover and sensors. You may need to adjust the helmets sensitivity, also make sure the sensors are facing the arc incorrect angle.

Comment

Working...
              X