Electronic Vs. Traditional Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Vs. Traditional Hood

Alright, well a few months back, i bought a miller pro hobby helmet, and was pleased with it for the first few weeks, but after a while i got so aggravated with the frequent arc flashes from forgetting to turn it on first (operator error, i know ) But, the biggest beef that i had with it was the color tone of the lens was killing my eyes, and gave my very sore eyes at the end of the day. So, i switched back to my original hood a few months back, a 17 dollar forney good with a flip up lens 2 dollar #10 shade lens that i picked up at the local hardware store. And i instantly was reminded why i love this hood, the tint that the lens gave off was soft, made my eyes much more compfortable at the end of the day, and i have only had one arc flash since.

whats your guys stand on traditional vs. electronic? I love my traditional hood, am i just easy to please, or am i missing something huge?
    Hobart Handler 140

Hobart Stickmate 235 AC

Victor Tag-Along Oxy/Acetylene Setup

Originally posted by CalaverasWelder View Post
    Alright, well a few months back, i bought a miller pro hobby helmet, and was pleased with it for the first few weeks, but after a while i got so aggravated with the frequent arc flashes from forgetting to turn it on first (operator error, i know ) But, the biggest beef that i had with it was the color tone of the lens was killing my eyes, and gave my very sore eyes at the end of the day. So, i switched back to my original hood a few months back, a 17 dollar forney good with a flip up lens 2 dollar #10 shade lens that i picked up at the local hardware store. And i instantly was reminded why i love this hood, the tint that the lens gave off was soft, made my eyes much more compfortable at the end of the day, and i have only had one arc flash since.

whats your guys stand on traditional vs. electronic? I love my traditional hood, am i just easy to please, or am i missing something huge?
    First, regardless of what the rest of the world thinks about a given
    helmet, if it is "killing your eyes" then it's not good. Don't
    put up with it or live with it or assume that it really is ok, If it bothers
    you and something is hurting, that's a significant message... Ya gotta
    fix it. Remember, you get one set of eyes and most damage is repairable only
    by the factory.

Second, as to automatic vs manual -- I started with an automatic.
    It was fine as far as actually protecting the arc (when i turned it on,
    anyway, like you said . What I did not like about it was that it
    would turn dark when i didn't want it to -- if someone else struck
    an arc in the shop ... dark. If a window with bright sun was in the line
    of sight, dark. etc. etc. Basically, it got irritating and frustrating and
    i didn't know what i was doing half the time.... So I bought a $30
    Jackson and flip it down with a snap of my neck, (just like all the cool
    guys do ) and love it.

Others have different opinions. Your mileage may vary.

Frank

Comment

It's all personal preference, and I don't think there is such a thing as the 'perfect' hood. There are always going to be sacrifices. The difference between what you have described is that when you get flashed with a flip-up lens because you forgot to flip it down you don't have any protection. With the auto hood, if you forget to turn it on, you still have the UV protection that saves your eyes.

There are different auto hoods and a great many different lens manufacturers. You could try a hood that turns on automatically. My Harbor Freight hood does this, but like Frank has experienced, it sometimes will darken when I don't want it dark. My Optrel Satellite, however has never darkened when I didn't want it to, and has only not darkened when I have it in grind mode for O/A cutting or plasma and then go back to 'real' welding.

Are you sure that the eye strain you are experiencing is due to the color? Maybe a different lens would work better for you. Again, there are a lot of different lenses out there. I like the color of my Satellite, which is a lot less green than, say, my HF hood. I haven't tried it next to a Miller hood to compare color. If I had to guess, though, I'd think that the strain is not due strictly to the color. Maybe some arc light is getting around the edge due to a poor fit? Or maybe you need a different shade. Try a little darker or a little lighter. This is merely a comfort thing on the auto lenses. They provide the same protection from UV/IR in their off state as they do in their darkest shade.

Dave
      Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
      http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
      http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
      MM180
      SP125+

Comment

This is what I have, both with #11 gold in them
        "Weld It And You Won't Be Screwed"
        Rescued from the boneyard SA-250 on a fully equipt trailer (My Wife's Explorer cries every time I hitch up)
        Trailblazer 301G (can't touch the SA-200 for stick)
        Arcair K-4000 A.K.A "The Hissing Cobra"
        HF- 251 TIG box for the TB with a Weldcrap torch, Yes I weld aluminum
        More than a toolbox full of stuff on an F-350 that is way to small

Comment

"This is what I have, both with #11 gold in them"

Good stuff.
          My welding instructor converted me to the Fibre-Metal Pipeliner by loaning me his.

Light, very comfortable (no neck strain), and after neatly trimming off about a 3/4" strip from the bottom of the chin area (use a strip of old porta-band blade as a straightedge and cut with a cutting disk) you can tuck your chin in very close.

Comment

I did that a day after I bought it.

"Weld It And You Won't Be Screwed"
            Rescued from the boneyard SA-250 on a fully equipt trailer (My Wife's Explorer cries every time I hitch up)
            Trailblazer 301G (can't touch the SA-200 for stick)
            Arcair K-4000 A.K.A "The Hissing Cobra"
            HF- 251 TIG box for the TB with a Weldcrap torch, Yes I weld aluminum
            More than a toolbox full of stuff on an F-350 that is way to small

Comment

I've had this one for just under a year or so.

If and when I get a job welding outdoors*, I'm planning to swap too a flip front pancake lid! I'd do it now, but with the whole unemployment thing and all...

*two months, give or take! Gotta finish my "A" level welding course, write the red seal test, get my CSTS, H2S, etc...

Comment

Working...
              X