Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To repair or not to repair; that is the question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To repair or not to repair; that is the question....

I received my new (refurb) EZ-TIG today via UPS. As expected, the packaging took a beating along the way. An initial inspection while it was in the box showed no damage, but once unboxed I saw that the torch cable was bent upwards at an angle just after it exits the welder chassis. It feels like the first inch or two of the cable has a hard insert that was bent upwards during shipping. However, it should be noted that there does not appear to be any damage to the case where the cable mounts. See pic below.

I called Hobart and they suggested I try it to see if it works, saying that it didn't sound like something that would affect operation. They were right; it works just fine. That being said, it still bugs me to have this bent connection on my "new" machine. I thought I'd try to find a spare of the part that was bent so that I could replace it when/if the case cover ever comes off, but it turns out that this is an integral part of the cable and is not sold separately. What's more, I cannot find an OEM replacement cable anywhere (or even a complete replacement torch + cable). I'm concerned that I won't be able to have this fixed without sending it back to Hobart (and risking more shipping damage - the box it comes in is not exactly UPS-friendly).

A few questions:
    1) Where can I get an original Miller/Hobart replacement torch cable or complete torch compatible with the EZ-TIG?
    2) Are their any recommended drop-in, OEM-style replacement cables and /or complete torches that would perform better than the original?
    3) Would this bug you, too, or am I being too picky?

Thanks,

Steve (aka Gaborkin)
    Last edited by gaborkin; 10-29-2021, 07:40 AM.

If you can't make a claim against the shipper and it welds okay ...
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Yes, it would bug me, BUT it looks like the "repair" isn't worth the hassle. You'd think machines would be engineered and built so that final and vulnerable cable connections could be made by the user after delivery.

Comment

Out of curiosity how long have you had it?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert View Post
          Out of curiosity how long have you had it?
          I received the welder via UPS direct from Hobart yesterday afternoon.

Steve
          Last edited by gaborkin; 10-29-2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Here is a photo of the box in which it arrived. Not terrible, but typical UPS. You can also see a small hole in the front of the box that lines up directly with the torch cable where it enters the chassis. The packing inside the box indicates that the welder shifted inside of the box during shipping, or that the box was pushed in until it contacted the cable.

I made the driver wait while I opened the top of the box and looked in, but everything looked fine. The cables are on top when shipped, so the cables as they exit the chassis would naturally be curved upwards. It wasn't until I took it out of the box that I noticed that the tig torch cable remained that way.

Steve
            Last edited by gaborkin; 10-29-2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I don't believe there is anything in that location that would bend permanantly. As far as I'm aware that's just a rubber/plastic strain relief. I would give it a few days time with the weight of the torch and cable pulling down on it, I imagine with some time it will relax back to normal.

Comment

Pretty much agree with Hobart Expert.... Maybe a little heat and a little weight.... It just a strain relief and to prevent really sharp bend where cord enters cabinet.... It did its job, now let it relax.....
                "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert View Post
                  I don't believe there is anything in that location that would bend permanantly. As far as I'm aware that's just a rubber/plastic strain relief. I would give it a few days time with the weight of the torch and cable pulling down on it, I imagine with some time it will relax back to normal.
                  Sorry - not the case. It is not the strain relief holding the torch cable in this position. The strain relief is flexible and not constrained in any way (except by the cable). There is no doubt whatsoever that something hard *within* the cable is bent. If I had to guess, I'd say a tube is attached to the cable's mounting stud, and that this tube extends into the cable a short distance to provide shielding gas to the torch cable. It is this tube that is bent. But I promise it is not an issue with the strain relief.

Does anyone have a part number for the torch cable? I'd like to order a replacement before the parts for this discontinued model become obsolete. I sent an inquiry to Hobart customer service regarding this issue but have not yet received a response.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
                  Last edited by gaborkin; 10-30-2021, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Did you check the manual for possible parts list?

https://www.hobartwelders.com/files/...45020A_HOB.pdf

https://weldfabulous.com/miller-2636...t-3-8m-rubber/

https://www.millerserviceparts.com/P...roductId=16662
                    Last edited by Dale M.; 10-30-2021, 10:22 AM.
                    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Thank you for the link to the parts list. I didn't notice that the parts list was separate from the owner's manual.

I'm going to give Hobart a few days to respond to my service request. Maybe I can get them to send me the part so I don't have to be out $200. If not, maybe they can give me the part number for the cable alone; there's nothing wrong with the torch and I'd rather not pay for one I don't need.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Hobart EZ-TIG 165i
                      Hobart 210MVP w/Spoolrunner 100
                      Hobart Ironman 230
                      Last edited by gaborkin; 10-30-2021, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Wow - Hobart customer service really came through. I requested the cable, and they sent the cable, torch, and a fingertip control module (the entire torch kit).

There's a reason this is my third Hobart welder...

Steve

Hobart EZ-TIG 165i
                        Hobart 210MVP w.Spoolrunner 100
                        Hobart Ironman 230

Comment

Working...
                        X