Sizing a Tig Welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing a Tig Welder

We are interested in purchasing a Tig Machine. The machine would be used to repair cast aluminum motorcycle cylinder blocks , heads and fins and broken bolt mounts. Wondering what the minimum amperage output on a machine that would do the job. I am aware of Ac/ Dc , pre heat , pulse and such but looking for necessary amperage. An experienced person would be operating the rig. Thanks for any constructive comments.

I'd consider a 250A-class machine to be the minimum with having to deal with cylinder blocks and heads.

Comment

Like Mac said, you should be looking at 250A and up machines, I'd suggest something like a Dynasty 280 or Synchrowave 300.

Comment

Thank You for the input...I appreciate it. Miller seems to be the landmark of quality in the welding world in our area.

Comment

Well , Hobart doesn't currently make a tig that large so the final verdict is a Miller Dynasty 280 dx. So far it is a beast. Will hopefully post some pictures soon.

Comment

200 amp minimum. I do these kinds of repairs and have for years. I would recommend a Dynasty or consider a lincoln aspect. They are just as capable as a dynasty and are cheaper. Syncrowaves are great but not the newest of technology. There is a big difference when welding aluminum, especially cast, when going from an older style big machine to the newer more electronic ones. If it helps, I use a dynasty because it was purchased by the company. I will be purchasing an aspect very shortly for my home shop.
            Miller dynasty 350
            Miller syncrowave 250
            Miller deltaweld 450
            Miller cp-300
            And one fancy microwelding setup

Comment

As hobart expert and mac said above i will also say as per my experience i will say you to go for 250A up welders, also check for buying guides somewhere that might help you in selecting a best one.
              Last edited by robertstevenbk; 04-25-2021, 02:12 AM.

Comment

If you are looking for options other than hobart then miller machines are also upto the mark and long lasting
                Last edited by robertstevenbk; 04-25-2021, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X