Porta-Tig will not start arc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porta-Tig will not start arc

I picked up a Porta-Tig awhile back which I am trying to get running.
    The machine doesn't want to start an arc.
    I can hear a squealing sound that I believe to be the high frequency but the arc will not self start. If I strike the tungsten, it will start & maintain an arc.

Sometimes it doesn't make the squealing noise & will not start an arc, even when touching the tungsten. After clicking the foot pedal a few times, the squealing starts & I can strike an arc, but no self start.

I cleaned the points & set them to .049, which is what the manual I have says is the setting.

Anything I can check or test? Any ideas?

Thanks
    Jeff

Sounds like it could potentially be a grounding issue, is your ground clamp attached to a clean unpainted area of your work?

Comment

The ground clamp itself looks clean & shiny. It was clamped directly to a clean piece of stainless that I was trying to weld. I guess there could be an issue back up the ground cable, where it connects to the welder, or internal to the welder. I will look at all the connections upstream.

Once I was able to get an arc going by touching the tungsten it seemed to be stable, although, I was only welding two 3/16 rods together so I did not keep the arc going for very long.

Comment

I would also check along the torch cable and torch head, if there is a spot along either cable that is cracked/rubbing on something metal your high frequency can be jumping to something else before it gets to the part

Comment

Working...
        X