Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tr-250 turns on but will not strike an arc

Hi everyone,

So, my dad has had this welder (tr-250 water cooled, high frequency) since b4 I was made back in 84, he uses it all the time and has had very few problems with it. He has no manual/schematic for it. The other day he was set up to weld something, it turned on like usual, but never struck an arc. Since then he checked the 220 lines going in, they weren't really loose or anything but he tightened them up. Now the unit doesnt do anything..

Where should we start diagnosing this? I personally have no idea how any of it is setup nore do I know where to start looking and he probably knows even less.. is there a pdf manual somewhere? Maybe even a schematic, something anything? any tutorials online of how these old machines work? I'm sure it's a fairly simple unit with generic electronic parts that can be found easily, so that's fairly refreshing. I have a decent multi meter and am good with it, just no idea where to start.
    Thank you for any and all help. Good beads and clean welds to ya. Jim

Verify input power. You said the connections were tight but didn't verify the voltage.

Thank you for a specific thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by Geddes84 View Post
      Hi everyone,

So, my dad has had this welder (tr-250 water cooled, high frequency) since b4 I was made back in 84, he uses it all the time and has had very few problems with it. He has no manual/schematic for it. The other day he was set up to weld something, it turned on like usual, but never struck an arc. Since then he checked the 220 lines going in, they weren't really loose or anything but he tightened them up. Now the unit doesnt do anything..

Where should we start diagnosing this? I personally have no idea how any of it is setup nore do I know where to start looking and he probably knows even less.. is there a pdf manual somewhere? Maybe even a schematic, something anything? any tutorials online of how these old machines work? I'm sure it's a fairly simple unit with generic electronic parts that can be found easily, so that's fairly refreshing. I have a decent multi meter and am good with it, just no idea where to start.
      Thank you for any and all help. Good beads and clean welds to ya. Jim
      Search "TR 250" and start reading.

Comment

If you remove the panels there may also be a wiring diagram glued to the inside of one of them.

Comment

Working...
        X