New TIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TIG

It arrived today. Don't have time to fire it up. Later this week. I'll be back. Mean while, feel free to comment.
    Attached Files

I'm not sure if it's early Christmas or Happy Birthday, but when you open the box look surprised.

Comment

Finally got the new Tig unpacked and fired up. Attached are what it took to get to a satisfactory point. All tho I had to watch a Youtube video to learn what I wasn't doing right. It was a new and recent video and the Gentleman was very knowledgeable and thorough. I recommend it to all who are just learning the skill. He said one word near the ending of the video that clicked. I immediately hit the pause button ran to the shop and laid down my most beautiful bead ever. I will post the link with a single pic next. If you can't figure out what word I'm referring to let me know and I will pass it along. The attached pics are from last weekend I was very frustrated thru Saturday and Sunday and early Monday evening.I watched the video Tuesday evening right after work and everything fell into place with that one word. So far I've used 3/4 tube of 1/16 and 1/4 tube of 3/32 using a 1/16 tungsten 2% Lanthinated electrode.

I forgot to mentioned that both sides look just like what You see.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Hunter55; 11-15-2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Here is a single pic of where I'm out now. Not to shabby. It will only get better going forward. Forgot to mention that I used 3/4 of a 125CF bottle also.
        Here's the aforementioned link. Its a 23 minute video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB-uXMly6fs
        Attached Files

Comment

Ok, what's the word? Call me curious to ask but I won't sleep until I know. Bet it was scooch?

Comment

Hey oldguyfrom 56 I sent You a private message. MUMS the word for now.

About the welder. One word sums it up for me, "PRIMO". Hobart, You did well. Its far superior to the Eastwood that I had. Please take everything out of petty cash, You earned it.
            Last edited by Hunter55; 11-16-2019, 09:44 AM.

Comment

They say practice makes perfect, but some of it is the machine.

Comment

I sent You another PM

So true about the machine, the ease of setup and operation is far superior and an excellent choice for anyone who is just beginning the skill. The Eastwood is probably an excellent machine for a more skilled and knowledgeable welder, but it had to many knobs for me. Besides I was just so freakin' frustrated with being unable to achieve the desired skill level I didn't even turn it on for about 6 months. Finally I sold it 3 weeks ago. However, I still wanted to add Aluminum to my welding skills, so I did an in depth internet search for Tig reviews and Jody at WTT did a review and spoke very highly of it. So I purchased it from Northern Tool. They provide good service and quick delivery. I recommend them to everyone for just about anything tool related. Gotta go, my 165i is calling.

Comment

Some learn to swim through lessons. Some just get thrown in the water. Both ways require a degree of splashing around.

A degree of preparedness is some what helpful in learning any new skill and while not commenting on your selling the Eastwood machine, we don't always need complicated to learn that skill.

Welding machine are like cars, more features means there is more that's needed to be understood. Both have become extremely complicated. Keep it simple. Play, and practice for sure, but also discover. Slowly add in changes and see what results from doing so.

Good of you for learning something new. I hope you post more of your progress.
                  I'd also suggest you pad your plates rather then random beads across the plate. Easier to see progress, change and improvement. Crawl before trying to walk, walk before running.

You might also give additional thought of the effects to your welding if your welding directly on the table. It's acting as a heat sink. How your foot pedal's current is set, and your operation of it. How you position yourself and the torch in position. Also the comfort level in doing so. Do you breath or are you holding your breath? lol. Yes I'm serious. Relaxing and breathing is acceptable.

I don't always log in so seeing messages are hit and miss until I do. Day late and a dollar short, I've replied.

Comment

Thanks OG for the input. I'm aware of all You mentioned, but I have just been so upbeat about finally getting a handle on this I can't stay focused on anything else. I do weld directly on the table but I will probably fab something to lay the small pieces on. I have a very small piece of expanded metal flat that I had considered making an elevated area to weld on. Yes I will post more pics as I go along. I've a coupe of small items that I want to make. Jody at WTT has some good projects to take on.
                    Looks as tho no one wants to take a guess on the magic word so here it is fellas. "SCOOCH", For me it means "PUSH" your puddle, dip, push, dip, push dip and so on. It works like a charm. Stay tuned.

Comment

Its getting easier Guys. As they say, practice, practice, practice. FYI, I have not yet done any cleaning of the material except for one small piece. It does improve the quality and appearance of the beads. Have just been focusing on technique and puddle control. Just started a full 125CF bottle this evening so will be going at it most of the weekend. Please feel free to critique. I'm here to learn. I won't disclose my age but I'll give You this much. I'm somewhere between 50 and 200. Point being, we are never to old to learn.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Hunter55; 11-22-2019, 08:15 PM.

Comment

My guess is around 60" plus of metal laid down on that plate, Look at you go. But I still see open space to be filled? Fill the space and buiild the surface.
                        They are looking pretty consistent, size shape and uniformity. Doing good I agee.

My instruction is you will always want to be in the most comfortable position to weld. Remember to practice for when you won't be.

Comment

Thanks OG for the compliments. I the past 2 hours in the shop working on the stack thing. It went better than I expected. And I'm out of Aluminum. I've been buying the material at Home Depot. Its pricey but its the only way for me. Thanks again for the info.

Comment

All the more reason to fill up the spaces. Scrap yards, fab shop scrap piles. Old truck running boards?
                            Must be something in your neighborhood as a source for cheaper material to practice on.

Keep in mind this suggestion. All your beads are the same size. Make some smaller and narrower. You should be able to reduce current and move slower. The idea is to control the weld metal. Not all welding is crank it up, melt it excessively.

Yup, an old dog can learn new tricks. It's gets easier. Pay attention to what you see and what cause it to occur. Note the small stuff. What happens when the arc length is increased as an example. How a small adjustment to balance effects the puddle.

Welding is like riding a bike. Learn it well and 10 year goes by and at first your a little wobbly, nervous maybe... but you get on, remember what you know and start to peddle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5100.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	706767

Comment

Thanks for the excellent advice OG. I spent considerable time today doing the stack thing. I can see the benefits of that. Not a lot of scrap available around here, we have a very large scrap recycling center in the immediate area and not much if anything at all , especially aluminum, is laying around.

Comment

Working...
                              X