Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi thermal arc pro wave 300 tsw question. I wired wrong. trying to walk it back.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi thermal arc pro wave 300 tsw question. I wired wrong. trying to walk it back.

Hi first of all i am brand new to the site. My friend sold me a thermal arc pro wave 300 tsw a few months ago finally got around to trying to wire it up and idk why or what i was thinking but wired it 3 wire as it will be single phase, however iwent hot ground hot on the main power in switch should be hot hot and case ground. welder turned on fan came on then charging sound then leds on front then everything off and not on again since. since i just about threw up realizing what i had done and cursed myself for trying to rush on a Sunday afternoon i have gotten the manual and all info the best i can online. i wired main switch s1 black and white hot and case ground and according to there manual . now based on there trouble shooting it goes main power 2 hot in directly to a dc rectifier which should have power out and does not. however i diode tested the rectifier and its checked out nominal they said between .3 and .5 i believe. it was like .45 . for the life of me i cannot find the pcb with 6 large ac relays on it in there manuals and i believe this might be the culprit. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...page=61#manual

also

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/84...sw.html#manual

any who has done something this stupid please help or just a kind soul with a minute to spare to save a guy some grief would be appreciated . any and all criticism or advice welcome.

pretty much all voltage stops at the rectifier and then the board that has all the relays on it there are some small wires with ac going to that board as well as heavy gauge wires going from the dc side of the rectifier to that board in 3 locations .

I'll come back when that's been edited with punctuation, capitalization, and some clarity of what happened. I spent too much time already trying to understand it.

Comment

Hi. Yes sorry i wrote that late last night after messing around with the machine and a volt meter most of the day, and in between getting the kids to bed. Not sure how to edit so here is the simple version. I originally wired my ground to a hot terminal on this machine with no case ground. if you look at the manual my ground was connected to connection V1 on S1 which is the main power switch to this machine. The machine powered up (fan came on) . I heard a capacitor charging sound, and finally the LED's in front came on. Then the machine promptly shut off. I have not had any sign of life from this machine since. It is now wired correctly . I have power to U1 and V1 of S1. As well as through power to U2 and V2 of S1 when switch is thrown. these large gauge wires then go to a rectifier. The manual states i should have DC volts coming off the other side of this rectifier and i do not. I did a diode test and it tested ok. The 2 links in my previous post are to the page showing the S1 switch and then the Rectifier D1 i believe and then to a general manual. thanks. wondering if my rectifier needs to be switched on with power or is supposed to be always on, and also the only other power to anything is a board with 6 relays that have 240 ac printed on them. There is power to that board and it doesn't leave that board.

ps i cannot find that board in any manuals for this machine but it has wk-5040 and the relays are potter and brumfied 240vac with 12 vdc also printed on them. This board has small ac wires and some heavy gauge dc wires coming from the rectifier it has ac power but the rectifier is not producing dc voltage.

Comment

First, verify you didn't trip the circuit breaker to the outlet you were using and that you do, indeed, now have the proper voltage entering the machine.

I now see your last sentence seems to say you've confirmed AC voltage (what method? what voltage?) to the rectifier, but no DC coming out (what method?).

Comment

I have power up until the rectifier

Comment

240 ac volts into the rectifier,and into the relay circuit board connection . no fan. No LEDs. No movement or noise what so ever. When main switch with power is thrown.

Comment

With a volt meter reading ac voltage 120 per leg or 240 as a pair. Also checked for DC voltage after rectifier and had none. Did a diode test as described in manual and got nominal readings of .42 I believe when I removed rectified from machine and tested independently.

Comment

This unit uses an SCR that will gate once the precharge is done. If you are not getting any DC voltage to the large cap bank then the precharge circuit may be bad.

Comment

Thank you. Keith . I am getting nothing. no fan. no precharge. what does scr stand for. i will look at thermal arcs manual and see what i cant find.As of right now 2 hot legs with power reach the rectifier and no dc power there are 5 smaller wires in total leaving ac side of rectifier as well. i have no auxilary power at all for fan or front panel. does not seem to be coming off the board that has ac power going into it with all the relays however i cant find this board on any manual.

Comment

You may want to try and contact Thermal Arc since they will be the experts on this. www.thermalarc.com or 1-800-462-2782.

Comment

Originally posted by carl800 View Post
                      Thank you. Keith . I am getting nothing. no fan. no precharge. what does scr stand for. i will look at thermal arcs manual and see what i cant find.As of right now 2 hot legs with power reach the rectifier and no dc power there are 5 smaller wires in total leaving ac side of rectifier as well. i have no auxilary power at all for fan or front panel. does not seem to be coming off the board that has ac power going into it with all the relays however i cant find this board on any manual.
                      SCR is Silicon Control Rectifier.... Sort of a diode with "gating" capabilities (voltage or current) ... May look like diode with extra terminal... Could be like any of the items in image below depending on circuit design...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 10-01-2019, 11:31 AM.
                      "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Working...
                      X