EZ-TIG 165i modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EZ-TIG 165i modification

How feasible would it be for a guy with an electronics degree to modify this welder to make it a square wave unit? I'm thinking it's just figuring out how to change the output of the oscillator up front from a sine wave to a square wave.
    Hobart IronMan 230
    Hobart EZ-TIG 165i
    Hobart AirForce 40i

Well? I'm no electronics whiz with a degree, but if I was to offer an opinion, not feasible is the response I'd expect. I'm sure you could with some thinking and a bit of effort, but again, I'm no whiz just a guy who thinks it's almost as easy as you make it sound.

Comment

This unit is a square wave machine. The output waveform is just fixed. All you have is amp control.

Comment

This is already a square wave machine? I did not know that. Interesting. That little fact appears nowhere in the literature nor the website, unless I've missed something. I would think it would be a good selling point. Guess I'll have to put my oscilloscope on the thing and see what there is to see.
        Hobart IronMan 230
        Hobart EZ-TIG 165i
        Hobart AirForce 40i

Comment

Originally posted by onebadpig View Post
          This is already a square wave machine? I did not know that. Interesting. That little fact appears nowhere in the literature nor the website, unless I've missed something. I would think it would be a good selling point. Guess I'll have to put my oscilloscope on the thing and see what there is to see.
          I'll be darned, discovered something new today, and the days still young. Then again, it's an invertor. I should have maybe looked that up to begin with but I didn't? Just assumed it wasn't from the question.
          When you put the oscilloscope to it, take and post a picture. I'm curious on the height, width and balance of the wave form. If you were closer I say bring it by and we can compare it to my Syncrowave.

Comment

Does the high frequency stay on all the time or does it shut off once an arc has started?
            Hobart IronMan 230
            Hobart EZ-TIG 165i
            Hobart AirForce 40i

Comment

In AC the HF will only engage when needed for arc stabilization, but not continuous. If wanting to scope you would have to go into the unit and disable the HF circuit and scratch start the arc or load bank the machine.

Comment

Working...
              X