Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension cord for big distance.

First off hello, I'm new here.
    Now to the point. I live in an apartment that is roughly 150 ft off the street and have no off street parking. So all work I do on my vehicle, is basically done on the side of the road while I pray to all the gods in existence that my vehicle does not get tagged by a moronic driver while I'm under it.
    I have discovered some body rot and picked up a small welder to be able to patch it myself, for anyone wondering it's a cheapo "Amico tig-205". After doing some reading across forums and sites and all sorts of stuff, I have come to the conclusion that using an extension cord with ANY welder is not an Ideal set up, sadly I have no other choice. What I have come up with is get a 6ga 230v extension cable to cover to distance. For the life of me I can not find a 150ft 6ga cable, so anyone have any ideas?

-Thanks for any help in advance.

Most welder instruction manuals have a recommended length and wire gauge for extension cords in them... If yours does not, its probable not recommended... 150 Feet ???......

From Amico page..

Rated Input Power: AC 230V / 8.5KVA / 37 Amps & AC 115V / 4.8KVA / 42 Amps

Cord will be much expensive... Rent a space that already has power installed that your welder requires...

And as for working on car while on the street, not really good idea...Murphy's law states "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"...

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

What is the input amperage of your machine at the thicknesses you are welding? No way will it need a #6 extension cord. This is doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Draminicus View Post
        First off hello, I'm new here.
        Now to the point. I live in an apartment that is roughly 150 ft off the street and have no off street parking. So all work I do on my vehicle, is basically done on the side of the road while I pray to all the gods in existence that my vehicle does not get tagged by a moronic driver while I'm under it.
        I have discovered some body rot and picked up a small welder to be able to patch it myself, for anyone wondering it's a cheapo "Amico tig-205". After doing some reading across forums and sites and all sorts of stuff, I have come to the conclusion that using an extension cord with ANY welder is not an Ideal set up, sadly I have no other choice. What I have come up with is get a 6ga 230v extension cable to cover to distance. For the life of me I can not find a 150ft 6ga cable, so anyone have any ideas?

-Thanks for any help in advance.
        Get 3 of these (often on sale, if you search) and you should have no problem, since you will only be drawing 33 amps at 200 amps or less, and voltage drop won't be too bad. You can always sell these later if you have no use for them.

But, this machine sounds too good to be true, so let us know how it works! (60% duty cycle at 200amps for $269?).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Century-Wir...-/222780923426

Last edited by Northweldor; 04-22-2018, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

Get 3 of these (often on sale, if you search) and you should have no problem, since you will only be drawing 33 amps at 200 amps or less, and voltage drop won't be too bad. You can always sell these later if you have no use for them.

But, this machine sounds too good to be true, so let us know how it works! (60% duty cycle at 200amps for $269?).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Century-Wir...-/222780923426
          As for those cords, they look like they'd work, but I had a "DeWalt DXGN14000" 11,000 watt generator fall into my lap so I'm going to replace the engine on that an use it.

As for how it welds I'm new to welding, a friend is a pipe welder on submarines, he's teaching me.

From what he said it's pretty good , but we were only doing body panels at the time. It was arcing fast with no noticeable charge up time after pressing the button on the torch (if that matters), the torch itself is kinda bulky the handle diameter I'd compare to the handle of a pee-wee ball bat. If nothing else you can get a full set up for under $500, and it's good to learn with. I ended up grabbing a 60 cu. ft tank of Argon from airgas. A gas lens kit, argon regulator, filler, and some 1/16 red electrodes off amazon.

I plan on fabing up a tire carrier strong enough for 34 's, getting frame strengtheners, and fabing up a wench bumper for the front. The strengtheners and the bumper will be 1/8" plate, and the rear axle will be trussed with 1/4" plate I'll let you know how it goes with that stuff.

Other than that I thank everyone for all the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Draminicus View Post
            ... fabbing up a wench bumper for the front. ...
            Don't forget the winch, too. The wench gets you INTO trouble, the winch gets you OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

Don't forget the winch, too. The wench gets you INTO trouble, the winch gets you OUT.
              Good one, MAC.

A 240V 30A load on 150 feet of #8 should be right about 3% voltage drop.
              --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
              -------------------------
              DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
              Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Comment

I tried putting wench on front bumper and all she did was scream at me.....

Dale
                Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Both are more useful when tied up to something...

Comment

Working...
                  X