Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot pedal torch vs scratch start torch

Good morning,

i have a multimatic 200 miller welder i wanted to know if i could learn how to walk the cup and weld pipe with a foot pedal torch instead of a scratch start torch or would i be better of with a wp-17v torch and can i use the scratch start method with the multimatic 200 torch.?

The torch doesn't know or care if you use scratch-start, lift-start, HF. Same for walking the cup....if a welder can get it in there, right size cup, stickout etc. then it will work (ignoring the obvious need for welder skill). And.....same for using a foot pedal or setting the current from the welder panel, torch doesn't care.

If you're sitting at a bench welding then a foot pedal is very convenient. Under a car tigging an exhaust a foot control doesn't work worth squat so use a hand control on the torch. You can TIG with a preset current value but being able to adjust it on the fly makes it more versatile.

The Multimatic 200 has lift-start TIG. If you can turn on the welding output before touching the tungsten to the work, then it should be able to do scratch-start, but do you think you need to? That just risks contaminating the tungsten.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Originally posted by PAYIN21 View Post
      Good morning,

i have a multimatic 200 miller welder i wanted to know if i could learn how to walk the cup and weld pipe with a foot pedal torch instead of a scratch start torch or would i be better of with a wp-17v torch and can i use the scratch start method with the multimatic 200 torch.?
      Many people don't realize scratch tig is used every day for precision exray welds all over the world in heavy industry. My uncle welded for a company that built nuclear power plants and his job was to weld the high pressure pipe with a scratch tig rig with an engine power supply. 95 percent of the home shop tig welding can be done with a scratch tig(and some aluminum). The local tech welding school is now teaching scratch tig before students go to a foot pedal. Learn to scratch tig and the foot pedal will come easy, all you need is gas, a dc power supply with a scratch tig torch. It's lots of fun at not much expense.

There are lots of youtube video's on scratch tig.

Comment

Working...
      X