DC Alum TIG Welding using Stick Electrode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Alum TIG Welding using Stick Electrode

Ok so I found this on You Tube, but he seems to make it work. Using just Argon, DCEN and a stick electrode for TIG welding aluminum. He is using 106 amps, DCEN, 2% Red and the rod is ESAB 96.50? I am going to try as soon as I can find the rod. Does anyone have a crossover to something besides the ESAB rod??

You Tube Link> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAMZg...eature=related
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM.
    Retired...
    Master Electrician
    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
    Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
    Hobart Handler 140
    MakerGear M2 3D Printer

LOL,

I guess there are guys shooting themselves out of cannons also, but it's not something I'd want to do.

You may also be interested in the u-tube video on "Sledgehammer explosives".
    SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
    MM 251 w/30 A SG
    HH 187 Mig
    XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
    Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
    Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
    Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
    PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
    Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
    More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
    Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
    Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
    Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
    Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
      You may also be interested in the u-tube video on "Sledgehammer explosives".
      Huh? Gee whiz guy for those of us with DC only inverter welders who only weld aluminum once a year or two...

For anyone else FYI I bought the Hobart 4043 rod and gave it a shot. Does a decent job on 1/8 inch and on 1/4 inch it will take a bit more practice but it certainly works and has enough penetration. Would l like to have my $2300 Miller TIG back for those once a year jobs... not.
      Retired...
      Master Electrician
      Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
      Hobart Handler 140
      MakerGear M2 3D Printer

Comment

You will have better luck switching a bottle over to pure helium for your inert gas. Some say you need ultra pure helium and they may be right, but I was satisfied with standard helium from lws. Use your 4043 filler rod as well. There are many arguments here about DCEN and very good info on it just search.

Comment

It works, but its annoying to someone who has used a real TIG welder with AC and high freq start. The flux runs all over and is a b***th to get off. It would be fine for the once a year job but to do on a daily basis, no way.

I think I saw the reference to helium for aluminum DC TIG welding on here, and I am sure that uses just bare filler rod. But since I already had the argon on hand that is what I used.

In the mean time I've found an inexpensive way to hook a spool gun onto my Miller 175 Mig, see my post in that area. It seems to be the ticket for welding aluminum up to maybe 1/4 inch thick or so, more than likely most of my welding will be 1/8 inch or 11 gauge thickness square tubing.
          Retired...
          Master Electrician
          Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
          Hobart Handler 140
          MakerGear M2 3D Printer

Comment

I guess if you had a lawn mower housing or some other part that needed to be joined it will work but for a strong weld on aluminum with DC- you need grade 5 helium....Big difference between that and Argon....In fact I'm really surprised he did as good as he did.......Must be the flux rod.....I wouldn't trust that weld....

DC- with Helium...I doubt you could do this with ARGON.......
            Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
            Hobart Beta Mig 200
            Twenty seven Hammers
            Three Crow Bars
            One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

there is no reason it wouldn't work, and wouldn't work effectively.

the electric arc is the heat source, the flux provides shielding, and the argon adds another layer. other than the messy flux, it's actually a pretty novel concept that could help in certain situations.

if it flight ready? certainly not, but it would get the job done for less missions critical applications.

Comment

Originally posted by B_C View Post
                I guess if you had a lawn mower housing or some other part that needed to be joined it will work but for a strong weld on aluminum with DC- you need grade 5 helium....Big difference between that and Argon....In fact I'm really surprised he did as good as he did.......Must be the flux rod.....I wouldn't trust that weld....

DC- with Helium...I doubt you could do this with ARGON.......
                What kind of amperage do we need to do say 1/4 inch with helium? I'm assuming the grade 5 stuff is expensive?
                Retired...
                Master Electrician
                Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
                Hobart Handler 140
                MakerGear M2 3D Printer

Comment

Good looking welds as usual BC

I see 2 things that stick out like a sore thumb to me in that video the OP posted
                  one he cleans the base metal with a wire wheel which in turn does more bad if any good with aluminum and second he contaminates his tungsten and keeps on welding
                  A few Hot Glue Guns
                  ]

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
                    What kind of amperage do we need to do say 1/4 inch with helium? I'm assuming the grade 5 stuff is expensive?
                    Grade 5 is expensive (300.00 for a big bottle) I use 95/5 helium argon 100 bucks a bottle which works pretty good on DC- for aluminum......Amp setting is right around 150-170 with 3/32 tungsten (Thoriated) with a small flat spot on the end of your sharpened tungsten.....
                    Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
                    Hobart Beta Mig 200
                    Twenty seven Hammers
                    Three Crow Bars
                    One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                      Good looking welds as usual BC

I see 2 things that stick out like a sore thumb to me in that video the OP posted
                      one he cleans the base metal with a wire wheel which in turn does more bad if any good with aluminum and second he contaminates his tungsten and keeps on welding
                      I noticed that this video may be filmed in Russia or some other foreign country
                      the work conditions don't look like a production shop.....So the part might be
                      a "Walk-in repair" that being said I really don't imagine they do a lot of aluminum welding. Certainly not "Cosmetic" welding......I have never used a flux coated filler rod for aluminum.......doesn't look like I want to either...

Dynasty 350
                      Hobart Beta Mig 200
                      Twenty seven Hammers
                      Three Crow Bars
                      One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Thanks for the info on the TIG DC procedure. What size bottle in CF for the $100? Is that 95% Helium and 5% Argon or the other way around, and I am assuming my little Maxstar 150 could not do anything over 1/4"?

When I tried the using the 4043 electric welding rod to see if it would work and it does.... sort of. The flux is a pain to deal with, and I know they make flux coated aluminum filler rod for gas welding. If I had some smaller diameter rod, I'd give it a try as it was, the 1/8 stick rod was just to large.

I am thinking about using your suggestions about DC Tig as being the real answer.

BTW does anyone have a source for a stainless steel wire wheel to mount on a angle grinder?
                        Last edited by wmgeorge; 03-17-2011, 12:13 PM.
                        Retired...
                        Master Electrician
                        Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
                        Hobart Handler 140
                        MakerGear M2 3D Printer

Comment

I really don't support any other way of welding aluminum.......I can't see why you would sacrifice
                          strength on a weld knowing going in it was going to be a half azzed deal?

Dynasty 350
                          Hobart Beta Mig 200
                          Twenty seven Hammers
                          Three Crow Bars
                          One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Yes they sell DC aluminum welding electrodes.
                            They do work but are a little tricky. There is a learning curve.
                            The rods are very fragile and if you leave them out in the open over night, all of the flux coating falls off of the rod. they have to stay in the sealed container with the lid on at all times!

They cost about $60.00 per pound. And remember that aluminum does not weigh very much.

The guy in this video could have just put the electrode in a stinger and welded
                            the piece the conventional way instead of making a mess of his TIG torch.

Comment

I have tested DC TIG with argon and flux. I used normal TIG rod and separate flux, normally used for gas welding aluminum. That let me use minimal flux for better visibility and easier cleanup. If you don't have access to one of the preferred processes, it seems like a useful tool in the toolbox. Here's my page with photos and discussion.
                              http://hildstrom.com/projects/dctiga...lux/index.html

I have also tested DC SMAW. Here's my page about that.
                              http://hildstrom.com/projects/stickaluminum/index.html
                              AC/DC-225 TIG
                              SMAW Aluminum
                              PowerARC 300
                              PowerPlasma 60S
                              Invertec V275-S
                              DC GTAW Aluminum w/ Ar & Flux

Comment

Working...
                              X