pure or 2%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pure or 2%

just wondering but i dont remember why i do this but on alum why do i go from 2% thoriated to pure tungsten...thanks

Use pure tungston only with a transformer machine.

The new inverters will weld great with many other electrodes on alum,
    and sharpen to a point just like steel welding.

Ronnie

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Pure tungsten forms a ball on the end and makes a more stable arc for A/C TIG welding compared to Thoriated Tungsten. Thoriated tungsten on A/C forms small little points on the end of the electrode and the arc jumps from one point to the other.

For A/C welding on a conventional rectifier transformer machine I prefer Zirconium tungsten with a ball on the end as opposed to pure tungsten. It has higher current carrying capacity compared to pure tungsten which means that there is less chance for tungsten contamination of the weld.

For inverter machines I use pointed electrodes for both A/C and D/C instead of a ball on the end. I use a Arc Time Hybrid tungsten that has three different rare rare earth elements in it. Many people use Lanthanated or Ceriated tungsten to avoid the radioactivity associated with the Thoriated tungsten. I have never tried Lanthanated but I did have problems with the ceriated tungstens axially splitting, which caused the arc to wonder.

Below are some useful links regarding Tungsten selection:

http://www.millerwelds.com/education...rticles83.html
      http://www.thefabricator.com/Aluminu...cle.cfm?ID=527
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Book_Chpt4.pdf
      http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl....asp#question3
      sigpic
      Miller Thunderbolt
      Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
      Miller Dynasty 200DX
      Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
      Lincoln LE 31 MP
      Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
      16" DuAll Saw
      15" Drill Press
      7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
      20 Ton Arbor Press
      Bridgeport

Comment

thanks i appreciate the help.

Comment

I run 2% for everthing, on AC they hold more heat than a green end, and ball up nice with the balance set right.
          "Weld It And You Won't Be Screwed"
          Rescued from the boneyard SA-250 on a fully equipt trailer (My Wife's Explorer cries every time I hitch up)
          Trailblazer 301G (can't touch the SA-200 for stick)
          Arcair K-4000 A.K.A "The Hissing Cobra"
          HF- 251 TIG box for the TB with a Weldcrap torch, Yes I weld aluminum
          More than a toolbox full of stuff on an F-350 that is way to small

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
            I run 2% for everthing, on AC they hold more heat than a green end, and ball up nice with the balance set right.
            Like TozziWelding said. I've used 2% for over thirty years. Never used anything else.AC or DCEN on aluminum and DCEN on everything from 4130 to Titanium, AC on magnesium.
            Two turn tables and a microphone.

Comment

I use 2% for everything as well...Why switch out your tungsen you ask? Oh, cause some salesman who doesn't know SH** wants to sell you all this different tungsten. You can weld aluminum with 2% with EXCELLENT results, I do it everyday for a living.

Comment

Wiki has a good explanation about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_tungsten_arc_welding
                The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.
                Metal Industry News celebrity addresses world amazing facts

Comment

Like the guys before me have mentioned the newer welders can use pointed 2% tungsten's for both steel and aluminum with great results (Inverter machines) My transformer sq wave machine likes the pure tungsten for aluminum because I have less arc wandering at low amp settings and the thoriated tungsten tends to split on the ends for me and then will spit ff into the parent metal causing an inclusion that in most cases reject your project (showing up in the x-ray process) Getting your azz chewed. I think alot of shops are upgrading to the inverter machines and someday the PURE tungsten will be a thing of the past...But that hasn't happened yet...
                  Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
                  Hobart Beta Mig 200
                  Twenty seven Hammers
                  Three Crow Bars
                  One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

I have a Miller Syncrowave 350, and use 2% lanthanated for everything; ground to a sharp taper for steel, and a crayon blunt shape for aluminum.

Comment

Working...
                    X