No announcement yet.

Cost of tig setup for stickmate ac/dc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of tig setup for stickmate ac/dc?

I have a stickmate ac/dc and was wondering what it would cost (minus the argon) to make it tig weld. I just want to do some stainless for a future turbo setup. Is it worth it or should I just go for a new tig machine? Thanks fellas.
    HH 140
    Hobart stickmate ac/dc
    Sanborn 7hp 60gal comp
    1950's Craftsman drillpress

You might be better off going for a Miller Diversion. Equivalent power to the Stickmate on DC, already set up for AC tig, already has torch, gas valve with preflow and postflow, HF function. It does not have stick capability, but you won't need that since you have the Stickmate. Changing the Stickmate back and forth between TIG and stick would be a pain since you would have to open the box every time.

Buying a torch with built-in gas valve and maybe a HF box would probably be cheaper, but you might not be happy with weld quality or ease of use.

GS
    Last edited by GilaSlim; 02-18-2009, 04:42 PM.
    I live in my own little world. That's OK, they understand me here.

Comment

Originally posted by GilaSlim View Post
      You might be better off going for a Miller Diversion. Equivalent power to the Stickmate on DC, already set up for AC tig, already has torch, gas valve with preflow and postflow, HF function. It does not have stick capability, but you won't need that since you have the Stickmate. Changing the Stickmate back and forth between TIG and stick would be a pain since you would have to open the box every time.

Buying a torch with built-in gas valve and maybe a HF box would probably be cheaper, but you might not be happy with weld quality or ease of use.

GS
      What do the diversions go for? I would like to get by cheaply but if I have to save up then thats okay too.
      HH 140
      Hobart stickmate ac/dc
      Sanborn 7hp 60gal comp

Comment

Originally posted by scapegoat View Post
        Is it worth it or should I just go for a new tig machine? Thanks fellas.
        Hey, you're not talkin' to your wife, here... of COURSE you should just go for a new TIG machine
        Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Cyberweld has them for $1275. Other online retailers will be close to that. I found one used a couple months ago for $1000 with an 80 cf Argon bottle. They have not been out long enough yet for many used ones to be on the market.

I had been looking at Craigslist and other places for a good used Dynasty 200, but most of them were going for darn near new price. Saw the Diversion when Miller announced it, thought it might be just the thing since I already had a Stickmate like yours, but still kept looking. Then one day the used Diversion popped up on Craigslist and I jumped on it.

GS

Comment

You can do DC TIG with your Stickmate in DC. Just get a TIG torch and an Argon Bottle. You'll end up having to buy the various Tungstens, cups, collets, etc. plus filler rod. For the SS you'll use S rod, the type depends on the type your stainless is.
            It'll be scratch start, no foot pedal to taper off or crank up the power as you go, but its do-able. All of the expenditures for equipment pretty much transfer to the tIG you eventually get (depends on torch compatability), but it lets you at least practice keeping the Tungsten from getting contaminated, etc. You'll need lots of practice before you can just dive in and do that intake.
            "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

I would think with a scratch start you would contaminate the weld immediately. I thought you were never suppose to touch the tungsten to the metal?
              HH 140
              Hobart stickmate ac/dc
              Sanborn 7hp 60gal comp

Comment

Yes, it can contaminate the weld if you are not real careful. Hotfoot is running the rig he described on the Miller version of the Stickmate, and pointed out some more pitfalls - no foot pedal, no High Frequency start. Those are more reasons why I suggest the Diversion. You get all that with it, for easier starts, better control. The Diversion's torch includes a built-in finger control, and you can get the optional foot control.

Kudos to Hotfoot for doing it the hard way. I prefer the easy way.

GS

Comment

It seems the Diversion is far superior to using my stickmate. I know the learning curve for tig is very high but I did do a little in my welding class I took a few years ago. The class was only 45 hours total. Every tuesday for three hours for 15 weeks. It was mostly stick welding though.
                  HH 140
                  Hobart stickmate ac/dc
                  Sanborn 7hp 60gal comp

Comment

Scapegoat,

Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

For most, tig is difficult enough to get competent with using the proper equipment. A jerry rig setup will make it near impossible.

PS. Not saying your welder is a bad machine, just wasn't designed for tig.
                    SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
                    MM 251 w/30 A SG
                    HH 187 Mig
                    XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
                    Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
                    Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
                    Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
                    PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
                    Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
                    More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
                    Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
                    Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
                    Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
                    Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

you can attach a high freq box to a weldin power source to give you Tig Capability http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AY5-0.pdf. but at near to a grand, it probably is not worth it to most people. I have used more then one, it works great, but it is not economical.

but if you find a cheap High frequency box go for it

P.S. always do your own research.. the miller salesman still says I cannot run a spool gun from a dynasty machine... I think he just wants me to buy a Millermatic

Comment

Yeah, HT1.

Always better to get information from the internet "experts" than it is to get information from the guy trained on that specific equipment in question.

Brilliant response.

Trying to learn to tig weld with (and there are more) no HF start, no gas solonoid, no remote amp control will challenge anyone. The Stickmate is NOT a welder a person wants to learn tig with.
                        SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
                        MM 251 w/30 A SG
                        HH 187 Mig
                        XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
                        Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
                        Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
                        Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
                        PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
                        Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
                        More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
                        Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
                        Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
                        Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
                        Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

Myself personnally would get the torch and bottle and atleast give it a shot. You already have the power source. You're going to purchase/lease, whatever, a bottle of gas. Then you'll need a torch. You could always have this as a backup for when you do upgrade and you more than likely will after cutting your teeth on a Stickmate.

Comment

"Trying to learn to tig weld with (and there are more) no HF start, no gas solonoid, no remote amp control will challenge anyone."

We train students on Idealarc 250s with no HF, no solenoid, no remote amp control, and they do fine because they don't know they shouldn't be able to function.

The real answer is PRACTICE, not features.

Comment

Ht1,

Sundown and the Miller guy are right. The dynasty is a cc machine, and you need cv for mig. You could buy a wc-115a, and a 15a spool gun for $2100, and you may be able to figure out how to wire it in, (if it even will). Or for the same amount of money, buy a MM 212, and 3545 spool gun, pull them out of the box, and start welding. I know what I'd do. If you wanted an all-in-one machine, and didn't need ac, then you should have bought a Shopmate. Sorry ---Mike---
                              BUY AMERICAN... THE JOB YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!!!!!

Hobart Champion 16
                              Miller external secondary contactor
                              stick foot pedal
                              remote voltage control(homemade)
                              Hobart Portafeed 17(w AG-2000 control box)
                              Bernard Q350 mig gun
                              Hobart AG-2000 pull gun
                              Lincoln Hi-Freq k799(yes, I know it's red)
                              Weldcraft CS300 tig torch
                              Miller RFC-23A foot pedal
                              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50
                              Victor 450/300 series torches
                              oodles of connecting cords

I can fix it, just pay me to replace it first

Comment

Working...
                              X