tig-mig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tig-mig

Hello again . I have a question. I know you can hook a tig torch to a stick machine but was woundering if you can hook one to a mig machine like a miller250? If so how ?
    Thanks
    Wade

Sure you can hook TIG torch up to a MIG welder but Best case you end up with very hard to use welding system. Might not be good for your welding equipment.
    MIG welders are Constant Voltage welders.
    TIG and stick welders are Constant Current welders.
    Each Volt/ Amp curve is tuned to make welding easier for that welding process.

Comment

Why sure you can "hook a tig torch up to a mig machine".

Gonna play heck pushing that little wire through the collet at the proper speed though.

Bottom line.

Not going to happen, mainly for the reasons outlined in the previous post.
      SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
      MM 251 w/30 A SG
      HH 187 Mig
      XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
      Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
      Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
      Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
      PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
      Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
      More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
      Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
      Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
      Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
      Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

Hi All,
        I just found this great site and wanted to get in on this question,

I havent purchased a Mig yet but I was wondering about using the Tig handle with cut off "sticks" of mig wire, I was figuring that I can get in close to do some "spot" welding on AK47 receivers, some of the rivet holes are off and I just need to get them partially filled instead of a complete weld up and re drill.

I havent mig welded much except for using a friends spattering flux core Easy Handler 125; it made such a mess on an HK receiver I knew I needed to go Gas.

Thanks in advance:
        Night
        Last edited by Night Hawk; 02-11-2009, 04:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Night Hawk View Post
          Hi All,
          I just found this great site and wanted to get in on this question,

I havent purchased a Mig yet but I was wondering about using the Tig handle with cut off "sticks" of mig wire, I was figuring that I can get in close to do some "spot" welding on AK47 receivers, some of the rivet holes are off and I just need to get them partially filled instead of a complete weld up and re drill.

I havent mig welded much except for using a friends spattering flux core Easy Handler 125; it made such a mess on an HK receiver I knew I needed to go Gas.

Thanks in advance:
          Night
          No!!! The TIG process uses a stick of tungstun in the torch body instead of the weld metal. Ideally, the tungstun is not added to the weld material. The TIG process will work quite well for your needs, but it won't work at all as you have outlined the procedure.
          Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Thanks Wyoming,
            I have a lot to learn and I wish I could afford a Tig right off but you know how that goes.

I need to read this site to death.

Night.

Comment

With practice on scrap, always a good idea, you should be able to MIG the holes. Lots of people make "spot welds" through punched holes in auto restorations with a MIG. I would be more concerned about the compatability of the MIG wire with the reciever and the heat effects, regardless of the application method.
              Blacksmith
              Stickmate LX AC/DC
              Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
              Hand cranked coal forge
              Freon bottle propane forge
              HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Working...
              X