Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was just given a Maxstar 90 with a Snap start HELP.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just given a Maxstar 90 with a Snap start HELP.

I have been looking forward to learning TIG welding, and I have been saving my money to buy one. My neighbor came home the other day and handed me a Miller Maxstar 90 with a Snapstart hooked to it. It has a foot control and a torch, but no hose or regulator or gas. It's a DC unit only, so I guess AL is out Is this a good unit to try to learn on, or is it so old the newer models are easier? I guess I need to buy a cyl. of Argon and a regulator. I dont intend on welding anything large with it.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

to learn on and to do small projects yes. metal art work go to (projects) there's some guy's here that just have some little scrap nuts and bolts left over from jobs and build the neatest little objects. you can do more than some will let you believe and do some search's plus keep saving the money and later get you a good and bigger machine and have a great time learning
    lincoln pt225
    hack saw & a hammer
    oh & a shovel

Comment

I've tried tigging with a Maxstar before, and I thought it worked great. You might be a little limited by only having 90 amps, but it will be great to practice with. I'm assuming that the torch has a gas valve on it? That was really the only thing that I thought was a bit of a pain when I tried the Maxstar - remembering to start and stop the gas at the torch. However, that was really only a minor inconvenience.

The nice thing is that you will need the regulator and argon cyclinder later if you move up to another machine, so the purchase won't be wasted. You are correct, you won't be able to do aluminum with this machine.

Tom
      Miller Dynasty 200DX
      Hobart T225 Stick
      Hobart Handler 180
      Airco O/A Rig
      ESAB W-200 O/A torch

Comment

I will have to take a look at the torch? Its mightly cold in the old garage today

Can I get by with just Argon? or do I need a mix of sorts? I will be welding body panels, and some small little parts maybe from SS?

Is there a special kind of Tungsten that I need to use with this machine?

Comment

just aron . 2% thor. tungsten
          lincoln pt225
          hack saw & a hammer
          oh & a shovel

Comment

Argon is the right gas. It's not like Mig where you need different gases to weld different metals. You can use helium and it will give you more heat, but it wouldn't be for someone just starting out. Also helium is more expensive and because it's lighter than air you need to use more of it.

I use a 2% lanthanated tungsten for all my tigging, but where you have a lower amperage DC only machine you could also use a ceriated tungsten. Either one should work fine.

Check to see what size collet you currently have in your tig torch. You need to match the diameter of the collets and tungsten. I use a 3/32" tungsten for most things, but again, where you have a lower amperage machine you could also use a 1/16" tungsten. Then again, for learning purposes the 3/32" tungsten might be easier to see when you're starting out.
            Miller Dynasty 200DX
            Hobart T225 Stick
            Hobart Handler 180
            Airco O/A Rig
            ESAB W-200 O/A torch

Comment

Well I got all the parts I needed and started welding today.... I’m not too good, but I’m getting better. This morning I couldn’t get two pieces to stick together, but now it’s about 8pm and I'm getting better I'm a bit confused on the one switch on the unit marked "output contactor" It doesn’t seem to do anything? I do have a remote foot pedal, and a fingertip control, I sort of like the fingertip better. I think I'm going to grab some more scraps from work and see what I can do with this thing this week.

I'm using 2% Thoriated 1/16 Red tip tungsten.... I just figured out that when you grind it you need to leave a bit of a flat spot on the end... I was making it like an arrow... Opps! I think I'm going to enjoy this!

What would the 3/32’s do for me? Larger material? Also what setting should the gas valve be on… I have it just below 20?
              Thanks for all of your help.

Brian

Comment

Are you using filler rod?
                "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

200T 1/16 Filler rod.... To me the rod seams thick, but I guess it works, but It dosent melt all that well it kinda ba11s up in little circles
                  Last edited by URTOAST; 03-09-2009, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X