• Show
Clear All

• Day Two Poor Boy Scratch Start

So it all starts to come together!!

Day two:

3/32" 2% Thoriated Tungsten (I had one), collet,

20 cfm flow,

85 amps DCEN

Runs pretty darn good...until I can't feed the rod fast enough...the only rod I have right now is too thin (goes fast!) is .040, but I have some 3/32" coming in the order I placed for some 3/32" tungstens.

Now I have to practice feeding rod as I watch TV...I usually am either on the keyboard or playing guitar, so I'll have to interrupt my habits to practice!! I bought some inexpensive (HF) goatskin TIG gloves, fit nice, feel good, but they are too thick and slippery...at least for the .040 rod...suggestions on Tillman, Hobart, etc.???

Well, by the end of this week I'll actually be joining two pieces togeteher ...(that's when the other tungstens and rods get here).

I've been sharpening on my 8" bench grinder, which seems to go pretty well, but I've been using my medium wheel that is contaminated with steel, so I am putting a dedicated wheel on for sharpening tungstens...what should I look for??
    "Good Enough Never Is"

For tungsten ideally you either want a green wheel (I think carborundum?) for carbide, or if you really want to splurge, a diamond wheel. The green wheels are relatively cheap, but the tungsten will often groove them.

Grit wise, I think mine (a green wheel) is about 80 grit? One of these days I'm hoping to get a little 1 or 2" wide belt sander to take over the tungsten sharpening details.

Comment

Don't worry about contaminating the tungsten with the grinder. Not an issue at this point in your life, and probably won't ever be. Main thing is to stop and regrind when you dip it or hit it with filler (you will learn, eventually, that on many noncritical jobs with low carbon, you can keep going without a regrind a good while, but the arc is less controlled.) If the mess is bad enough, snap off the contaminated section of the tungsten. You'll grind it all off anyway, and snapping off speeds the process with less wear on the wheel.

I have ground tungsten with a 4.5" handheld when I had too. It works, but is awkward.

For materials other than low carbon steel (stainless, low alloy, copper, etc), the grind gets more important, and a clean grinding wheel is more important, but even there, you'll be surprised what you can get away with.
      I may not be good looking, but I make up for it with my dazzling lack of personality

Comment

you get a dressing wheel/tool for trimming up the grinding wheel if you get paranoid about contaminating the tung. with a "dirty" wheel.

I grind all my tungs at one time so i dont have to stop whilst welding, so if i feel like being **** i can grind up the wheel before i start and then everything is clean.

Most times i dont.

I think that the "dedicated wheel" idea is over rated, but i don't do much critical tig.

When i started i practiced running a puddle without filler till i stopped diping the tungsten. Only had to concentrait on one thing at a time then.

Comment

I typically don't use the front of the wheel to avoid contamination problems with all my other TIG difficulties. May not be the best way, but it works for me just using the side of the wheel. just remember to make the striations length wise I'm told.

Comment

Has anyone used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder to sharpen tungsten? I see that some of the wheels for masonry are silicon carbide (as opposed to aluminum oxide for steel).
            --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
            -------------------------

Comment

Hey, Hotfoot, ya need to get you one of these TIG Wow machines.

Comment

...or this...!
                "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Try something like this...
                  Last edited by usmcpop; 01-24-2009, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Hey, Pop! That's what I was looking for! I've seen that before, but what is the source??
                    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
                      ...or this...!
                      Doggone it, Hotfoot! I've been trying to convince myself I had enough welding machines... now I've got to have one of those!
                      Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

The young one made it, Hotfoot. It looks like filler wire and blue masking tape. Custom fit

Vicegrip posted a pic of another one that was made from tubing.
                        Last edited by usmcpop; 01-25-2009, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zrexxer View Post
                          Doggone it, Hotfoot! I've been trying to convince myself I had enough welding machines... now I've got to have one of those!
                          That's an ESAB Caddy TIG 150.
                          I grabbed this from Southern-tool.com site. I have their page up, but, for some reason the link comes up as "not found" when I try to paste it here for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.southern-tool.com/store/ESABCaddyTigs.html

ESAB CaddyTigs

Model 150
                          CaddyTIG 150-

* Practical design - makes the power source easy to carry which enables use at almost any work site.
                          * Adjustable slope down and post gas - provides a better result at the end of the weld, which means you can avoid cracks and oxidation.
                          * Two current levels - changing between two levels will provide quick response to gap changes.
                          * TIG welding with HF ignition and LiftArc™ - you can choose the most suitable starts, always ensuring a safe start procedure.
                          * Pulse and Micropulse for precise control of weld.
                          * Three-year warranty.

SPECIFICATIONS
                          Model Number CaddyTig 150
                          Mains voltage 230 vac, 1 ph, 50/60 Hz
                          Fuse (slow) 16 A
                          Permitted load at (TIG)
                          25% duty cycle N/A
                          35 % duty cycle 150 A
                          60 % duty cycle 120 A
                          100 % duty cycle 95 A
                          Setting range TIG 3 to 150 A
                          Setting range MMA

4 to 150 A
                          Open circuit voltage 60 to 75 V
                          Slope up 0 to 5 sec.
                          Slope down 0 to 10 sec.
                          Pre Gas 0 to 10 sec.
                          Post Gas 0 to 10 sec.
                          Pulse time 0.001 to 5 sec.
                          Length 15.0 in., 381 mm
                          Width 10.6 in., 269.2 mm
                          Height 10.8 in., 274.3 mm
                          Weight 19.6 lbs., 8.9 kg
                          Enclosure class IP 23
                          Application classification S
                          Standards IEC60974-1, EN50199

ESB0459199885
                          $1,847.00 $1,645.78
                          CADDYTIG 150 TIG PKG 230V 1PH :::: Call 1-800-458-3687 for Freight Rate, If Any! - PC-120508
                          tab_blue_button_add.gif

ESB0349501024
                          $350.80 $263.83
                          "REMOTE CONTROL MMA1 1-KNOB 10M :::: Call 1-800-458-3687 for Freight Rate, If Any! - PC-010809"
                          tab_blue_button_add.gif

ESB0459367880
                          $34.90 $30.43
                          "SHOULDER STRAP CADDY :::: Call 1-800-458-3687 for Freight Rate, If Any! - PC-010809"
                          tab_blue_button_add.gif

ESB0700009026
                          $50.60 $38.05
                          "TIG-PEN (FOR 0.040-1/8` ROD) :::: Call 1-800-458-3687 for Freight Rate, If Any! - PC-010809"
                          tab_blue_button_add.gif

ESB0349501079
                          $37.90 $28.50
                          "MMA EL HLDR CMPL 150A 3MX25MM :::: Call 1-800-458-3687 for Freight Rate, If Any! - PC-010809"
                          tab_blue_button_add.gif

ESB0558005172
                          $143.18 $70.23
                          "R-33-FM-580HB REG FLOWMETER :::: Call 1-800-458-3687 for Freight Rate, If Any! - PC-010809"
                          tab_blue_button_add.gif

ESB0590046800
                          $22.30 $13.38
                          "ADAPTER OKC 25-50 :::: Call 1-800-458-3687 for Freight Rate, If Any! - PC-010809"
                          tab_blue_button_add.gif

ESB0700000890
                          $418.60 $319.39
                          "WELDING HELMET EYE-TECH 5-13 :::: Call 1-800-458-3687 for Freight Rate, If Any! - PC-010809"
                          tab_blue_button_add.gif
                          Last edited by Hotfoot; 01-25-2009, 10:49 AM.
                          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
                          X