Another Noob Tig Machine Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Noob Tig Machine Question

Looking for my first machine and found a local guy selling an Airco 300amp AC/DC Tig/Stick machine with new torch, foot pedal, and regulator. It's very clean. I'm not sure of the age, but it's a few years old. Looks to be in perfect condition.

He's asking $800

I've no idea if this is good, or a waste of time.

I know it's bigger than I'd probably ever need, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be used on smaller jobs does it?

Thanks guys!

I suggest you check two things. Make sure it is single phase (household) electric, then see what the input amps required are to make sure your electrical service can handle it.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

I wish my first machine was 800 bucks
      Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
      Hobart Beta Mig 200
      Twenty seven Hammers
      Three Crow Bars
      One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

It is a single phase 230/460.

I've got 200 amp service in the shop, so I can handle it. The current owner has been running it in his home garage on a 50 amp circuit. I don't think he's pushing the machine that hard.

He thinks that it was built late 70's early 80's. He claims it's the same machine as the Miller 330apb?

Comment

If you can, have someone test the machine out for you and make sure it works in all modes. A lot of old welders like this one are for the most part bullet proof so if everything tests out okay you will have yourself a nice "BIG & VERY HEAVY" welder.

Make sure and do as Hotfoot said and check your incoming Electric service to make sure you have enough power to feed this thing (a lot of old welders like this are real power hogs and can use up to and sometimes over 100 amps!!!) and check that its single phase. One nice thing about a big welder like this, you will never be short on amps, you can always turn the power down but if you don't have enough to start with that can be a problem.

In your post you did not say if it comes with a gas bottle or not or if it has a cooler and a water cooled torch. If it does not come with the cooler and gas bottle you could use that to bargain with him on the price.I think that without the bottle and cooler his price is high.

I would have to say that if you cant get him to deal with you on the price you might want to wait and buy something newer that wont run your power meter at warp speed and dim the lights in every house on your street. Sometimes good deals are not such good deals when you stand back and look at it from a different angle, hope this helps
          Last edited by sunpeople; 12-29-2008, 11:40 PM.
          Hobart Tigwave 250
          Hobart Pulser
          Hobart Tig Cooler
          9X42 Bridgeport
          14X40 Engine Lathe
          Darex Tool Grinders
          Hor.&Ver. Bandsaws
          Boyar Schultz 6X12 Surface Grinder
          Never Forget Our Freedom is not free! Thank you to all of the serviceman and woman in harms way overseas because without them we would have no freedom! God Bless The USA!

Comment

sorry about that it wanted to post the same thing twice
            Last edited by sunpeople; 12-29-2008, 11:50 PM.
            Hobart Tigwave 250
            Hobart Pulser
            Hobart Tig Cooler
            9X42 Bridgeport
            14X40 Engine Lathe
            Darex Tool Grinders
            Hor.&Ver. Bandsaws
            Never Forget Our Freedom is not free! Thank you to all of the serviceman and woman in harms way overseas because without them we would have no freedom! God Bless The USA!

Comment

The power needs aren't a problem for me. Will it still spin the power meter like a top if it's not turned up to full power?

It doesn't come with the bottle and I think the torch is air cooled. I don't know what a fair price would be for this machine.

Here's a couple pics of the machine.

Comment

I think that it could be a bit older than he is saying. Just my opinion.
                Two turn tables and a microphone.

Comment

I think I would pass unless you really can't come up with more money...With all the new welders out there you would be so much happier welding with one of new style welders...Plus your going to have to have a water cooled torch and a chiller....
                  I would just get a better set-up ......I remember welding with one of those
                  Dinosaurs and compared to a newer machine........No comparison...
                  Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
                  Hobart Beta Mig 200
                  Twenty seven Hammers
                  Three Crow Bars
                  One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Well, money is my biggest issue. I really have to stay under $1000. Many things I've read says this is the Miller 330 a/bp, just built under a different name.

My biggest question is what should a person pay for this kind of setup, and still be able to get most of their money out of it if you had to resell?

Thanks.

Comment

"FusionKing" has one. Ask him.
                      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                      -------------------------

Comment

I saw a Miller 330 a/bp at a local flea market a few months ago. Guy wanted $400 for it, which was reasonable I guess.

Looks like the seller of the Airco spent a day with some sandpaper and a few spray cans of Krylon blue in an attempt to get someone to pay $800 for his $400 machine.

Comment

Jeez you guys are so freekin' negative about this machine you make me feel like changing my sig
                          I use the crap out of mine...it's the same thing only orange and it's a 1973 so if that blue is original mine is older.
                          Mine welds great. I keep my dynasty strapped down in my safari van and lately I have been using the Airco in the shop. And right now the shop is about all I got happening.
                          I'm using a homemade cooler on mine with a CK-20 torch and even tho it has the peddle I also have wired in a button on the torch and only use that.
                          I prefer to use lanthanated tungsten on it usually 1/8" sharpened to a point and blunted with a #6 or 7 cup for most general stuff. It will lay down dimes very nicely thank you

BTW...unless you are gonna tig a TREMENDOUS amount you ain't gonna use that much juice. In 10 years I don't think I've paid over a $100 for electric.
                          435 ac tig amps comes in pretty handy at times and I have maxed this more than once.

I will probably never sell mine if they go that cheap...I run mine on a 100 amp breaker and that is what I'm thinking a syncrowave 250 uses as well. maybe not.
                          HTH
                          Miller Dynasty 700...oh yea baby!
                          MM 350P PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                          Miller Bobcat 225 NT
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller 30-A spoolgun
                          Airco 300 Heliwelder (465 amp and made by Miller)
                          Miller Spectrum 300
                          Lincoln SP-135-Plus (down the road now)

Comment

Fusionking, i think you may be misreading the other posts, your right its a good welder and i am sure it will do everything that Keegan wants it to, all we are saying is the different welding machine makers have made alot of improvements in there products in the last 30 years and if he has the time to wait he just might find something newer with more features and uses less power too.

The only person who can answer that question is Keegan. but if he has to buy something right now i am sure that it will do everything he needs it to, all we were doing is offering him our experience with other equipment that is in his price range that might fill his needs better that's all.
                            Hobart Tigwave 250
                            Hobart Pulser
                            Hobart Tig Cooler
                            9X42 Bridgeport
                            14X40 Engine Lathe
                            Darex Tool Grinders
                            Hor.&Ver. Bandsaws

Comment

FusionKing - thanks for the great review on this machine! I knew someone on the board had to have one of these machines in use. From what I understand, it's pretty hard to kill one of these big monsters.

Originally posted by sunpeople View Post
                              all we were doing is offering him our experience with other equipment that is in his price range that might fill his needs better that's all.
                              Sunpeople - I'm quite limited by my budget. So far, I really haven't found a more modern machine in the sub $1k price range. If you have a suggestion for a couple machines to keep an eye out for, let me know.

I offered the seller $500 for this one, but it sounds like he's already had a couple offers closer to his asking price.

I'll keep my ear to the ground for the one that has my name on it.

Happy 2009 everyone! And thanks for everyone's input!

Comment

Working...
                              X