Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riland Tig Welder 20/200 ACDC

Hello Everyone,
    I have a Riland Tig welder that came with the torch hi freq start button and the two pronged connector to the welding unit. I see that Chiry ACDC tig is actually manufactured by the same people based on how it looks so maybe information about either might answer my questions.

I want to install a foot pedal in place of the torch button and that part I get entirely. What I want to do is to use the 4.5 k Ohms potentiometer in the foot pedal to control the amperage. My amperage pot is on a circuit board at the front of the unit. There are two separate micro-circuit plugs on the bottom side of the circuit board that I do get a scale of resistance when connected to a volt-ohm meter and rotate the amperage pot. One plug has three pins the other has 5 pins. Does someone have schematics for this unit that I can determine connection points for the pedal pot?

Also ... will the foot pedal adjust the amperage up to the selected amperage on the circuit board pot (which is desirable) or does it take over the complete range of 20 to 200 amps?

Hey Rx_Mich,
    I have the Riland WSE200P AC/DC TIG & my unit came with both the torch button & the steel footpedal. I use the footpedal 99% of the time. Riland does not make Chiry equipment. Chiry is just another name for the many other clone companies. The Riland equipment is the premiere manufacturer and they have very few issues if any compared to the other clones. Here is the site that lists all their accessories. Hope this helps. There is a member here "Grappletractor" who also sells imports who has, or can get you, the correct footpedal. You can PM him. Good hunting... Denny

http://www.rilandusa.com/consumables.html

Here is Grappletractor's website:
    http://stores.ebay.com/GiantTechPlas...derConsumables
    Complete weld/mach./fab shop
    Mobile unit

"A man's word is his honor...without honor, there is nothing."

"Words are like bullets.... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

"I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the American Flag & the US Constitution."

Comment

Riland 20-200 Tig

Hi Yorkiepap,
      I have a foot pedal. If it is the wrong resistance then the potentiometer is easily swapped out for a different resistance. All it is basically is a volume control POT. The one I have is 4.5K and up to 15K are easily available. My unit was not originally made to have anything other than the torch on/ off switch. That being said, most manufacturers use the same circuit boards with features not used yet the boards are wired to serve models with higher features. The foot pedal is not the problem.... connecting it into the system correctly is.

Thank you for your reply,
      Bob

Comment

Because the foot pedal potentiometer, unlike the one on the panel, is outside the case of the machine, it is more prone to picking up interference and high frequency feedback. I can tell you that on a Miller Syncrowave, the foot pedal is not simply a pot wired into the same circuit as the pot on the panel. They have a separate circuit that insulates / isolates the interference it may pick up from the high frequency. Not saying you are going to run into a problem, but if weird things happen, you may need to consider some sort of filter to prevent feedback.

Comment

I was planning on using a different wire from the unit to the pedal. I have some 600 volt 4 wire leads with double shielding. It is wrapped in Silver foil and silver braid around that. It is normally used for aircraft high voltage electronic strobe systems. I will start with that and if needed a noise filter capacitor at the pot.

Comment

Rilands come out of the same factory as other brands in China

Comment

Originally posted by Jake_SS View Post
              Rilands come out of the same factory as other brands in China
              We have been thru this several times already
              There is more than one Riland or Ryland or whatever spelling you wanna buy or believe
              But there is only one www.rilandusa.com
              Miller Dynasty 700...oh yea baby!
              MM 350P PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Bobcat 225 NT
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller 30-A spoolgun
              Airco 300 Heliwelder (465 amp and made by Miller)
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Lincoln SP-135-Plus (down the road now)

Comment

Hey, RX. Try calling Riland, USA after the holidays, and talk to a tech. They will know, and may save you from blowing a good board. I have found them to be very knowledgeable and helpful. If it cannot be done, they'll tell you, and why.
                "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Hey RX_Mich,
                  I have the exact same machine and I have wanted to do the exact same thing you're talking about since I got the thing...Ever find anything out?

Comment

When you figure out how to do it let me know. I want to throw this thing off a cliff because I miss my pedal so much. I called Riland and they said there is no possible way to get it to work...I think I talked to a Jacob or a Justin?

Comment

Well I talked to Storts who's on this forum and he's a Riland distributor...Got some good info from him. I bought a metal foot pedal and 3 pin connector from Riland, I got some schematics from the LakeLand Products Co. who is a Riland distributor...I'll attach the schematics. I haven't really figured them out yet...But this seems doable. Riland USA has been absolutely ZERO fu**ing help with this project. The Riland distributors however are an awesome bunch and have been VERY helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by welderZ View Post
                        Well I talked to Storts who's on this forum and he's a Riland distributor...Got some good info from him. I bought a metal foot pedal and 3 pin connector from Riland, I got some schematics from the LakeLand Products Co. who is a Riland distributor...I'll attach the schematics. I haven't really figured them out yet...But this seems doable. Riland USA has been absolutely ZERO fu**ing help with this project. The Riland distributors however are an awesome bunch and have been VERY helpful!
                        Do you think someone can read those tiny images?

Comment

Well if you save them to your computer, you should be able to zoom in. But there is a 100kb limit for files on this website, so it won't let me get any bigger, sorry. If you want to PM me your email address, I'll email the good ones to you.

Comment

Pot

All it is basically is a volume control POT. The one I have is 4.5K and up to 15K are easily available.

I am in the process of finishing my DIY pedal for a Hobart. Not sure if your welder is different, but I used a linear taper pot rather than an audio taper.

A linear taper increases resistance in a straightforward fashion, 50% rotation=50% change in resistance. An audio taper is logarithmic, and at 50 % rotation would only be about 10-20% off on nominal values. Google linear or audio taper to learn more.

On mine I needed a 2w 25k ohm linear taper. I got it from Newark Electronics, they have decent prices, great spec sheets, fair shipping and a huge selection.

Good luck.
                            1988 460v Hobart PortaTig
                            25KVA transformer

Comment

To Welder Z

Originally posted by welderZ View Post
                              Thanks for the compliments, Since Ron passed away the only other fellow i know is Larry,,Giant teck guy,, Im sorry to here that Rons Help,have been no help,,

When they came out with the 200 amp tigs,the first ones had none of the add ones,and after everybody wanted foot petals,they started making the wse with P,and the ft petals,I will give them a call,and see how I make out,No promises,But that was there first ones! Were allways here for any help,Thanks,Jack

Comment

Working...
                              X